BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Renovation Filter - Existing? New? To Be Demolished??

rob2218
Enthusiast
If I have an object whether it be a line, lable, text, zone name...whatever and it is required to be seen BOTH on the "New" and "Existing" Renovation filter....how do I accomplish this without having to create 2 objects which are the same, placed right in the same spot in plan, placed on the same layer....yet needs to be show in "New" and "Existing" (or "To Be Demolilshed") as well for that matter???
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Anything created in "Existing" will be visable in all three renovation filters.

So if you create a wall and set its filter setting to existing it will be visable in all filters, you can then create doors, windows in that wall and set them to either "To be Demolished" if it currently existings but your getting rid of it, or "new Construction" if your adding it into the wall.

You should only use the Renovation filter if its an existing building. If your building a brand new building then make sure everything is set to the "new construction" filter and it will show up correctly.

If you have template layouts then just make sure these are set the the relevant renovation filter (survey - existing / Planning application - Proposed etc...)

Hope this helps
Karl Ottenstein
Paul wrote:
You should only use the Renovation filter if its an existing building. If your building a brand new building then make sure everything is set to the "new construction" filter and it will show up correctly.
I'm not sure I agree with that one, although a lot of people on threads here seem to want to do it and complain about 'existing' being the default.

IMHO, new construction should be done as 'existing' - so that the project file is ready for inevitable renovation in the future. This also gives an easy way to show clients a single design option - by modeling the option as a renovation.

The only person that the word "existing" bothers is the modeler looking at the palettes. Sure, it isn't true for a fresh project, but does it really matter?

Whatever works, though. 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
It might be our filter settings but if you don't set your New bits as "New Construction" then it causes problems with things like the window schedule and how the various drawings are shown in plan/section/elevation.

Its quite easy in the future to change every to "existing" so it definately better to make sure the renovation filters are set correctly during development.

We mainly do renovations and extensions so the renovation filters are a fantastic step forwards.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
This also gives an easy way to show clients a single design option - by modeling the option
I like it!

I'd like to see the option to have additional filters beyond Existing, Demolish, and New in AC 16.

Would be cool to have Existing, new, plus Design Options 1,2,3 etc. This would save us SOOOOOO much time when we're in SD.

Creating multiple files for different design ideas is a pain, and creating multiple layer sets often creates chaos in our models, especially where wall cleanups are concerned.
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
flamingjawa wrote:
Karl wrote:
This also gives an easy way to show clients a single design option - by modeling the option
I like it!

I'd like to see the option to have additional filters beyond Existing, Demolish, and New in AC 16.

Would be cool to have Existing, new, plus Design Options 1,2,3 etc. This would save us SOOOOOO much time when we're in SD.

Creating multiple files for different design ideas is a pain, and creating multiple layer sets often creates chaos in our models, especially where wall cleanups are concerned.
+1
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Stress Co_
Advisor
flamingjawa wrote:
Vote for Wish HERE
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Learn and get certified!