BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Repositioning Dimension Text Problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
In previous versions this worked perfectly, not so in 11.

To reposition dimension text that automatically places itself outside its witness lines (a), you can select the dimension string and command (MAC) click the witness line node (b) to move the text back between its witness lines. Now the text moves back but another witness line appears in the opposite direction (c) and only this witness line appears in the layout (d). Now I have to manually reposition the text.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Dimension.png
12 REPLIES 12
Thomas Holm
Booster
I think your problem emerges because what you really do is this: You're creating an extra (static) dimension node by command-clicking. Since it's horizontally at the same location as the old node, you're confusing Archicacd into that behavior.

The way to move dimension text is to click-hold-drag it by it's low-left text node point. You can place it where you like, and you won't have that problem.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thomas wrote:
I think your problem emerges because what you really do is this: You're creating an extra (static) dimension node by command-clicking. Since it's horizontally at the same location as the old node, you're confusing Archicacd into that behavior.

The way to move dimension text is to click-hold-drag it by it's low-left text node point. You can place it where you like, and you won't have that problem.
I've been using this automatic method of moving text for the past 5 versions of Archicad and its always worked perfectly. This is a problem with 11 not with me creating a static dimension.
Thomas Holm
Booster
OK. I've used Archicad since version 3 something and I've never used that method or seen it documented, but of course it might be an oversight on my part. Still, they're constantly rewriting parts of the program so such an option might break. Is it documented somewhere?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't think it is documented anywhere but it is a great way to quickly move dimension text without having to select and drag.
Thomas Holm
Booster
I guess not documented = not supported. The current behavior (Command-click adds node) seems consistent to me, since that is what it does in all other positions.
Anonymous
Not applicable
But it doesn't add another node. By command clicking on an existing node of a selected dimension string the text repositions itself if it is outside its witness lines.

Try it in version 10 to see it work properly.
Thomas Holm
Booster
OK. BTW, what's that hat you're wearing?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thomas wrote:
OK. BTW, what's that hat you're wearing?
D..E..V..O
Thomas Holm
Booster
You mean this
http://www.clubdevo.com/mp/dome_sightings.html
Not that I understand much though
Learn and get certified!