Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

!Restored: MacPro or Vista for AC!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Seriously I need information what kind of hardware is the right way specially for AC.
MacPro with Intel Xeon is cheaper than Dell with Xeon.
That means, Apple workstation is cheaper than Dell workstation.
That means,
Mac OS is cheaper than Vista regarding Workstation.
But,
Apple workstation is more faster and more beautiful and more ...?

AC user wants to know the better hardware.
Graphic card is not so seriously important for architects.
44 REPLIES 44
Anonymous
Not applicable
The Mac is better and cheaper than the Dell and it runs XP very well in Boot Camp. I wouldn't worry about Vista right now. It will not be supported in ArchiCAD 10. By the time 11 ships it will most likely be possible to install on the Mac, and any way I'm sure AC11 will run in XP. From what I've seen Vista is a significant upgrade but not a "must have" for most users. Everyone will eventually upgrade, but I am in no hurry.

Of course you can also run MacOS X on the MacPro for even better performance (as much twice as fast from what I've seen and heard).
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I highly recommend that you stay as far away from Dell as possible. A comparable system to the MacPro is the Alienware MJ-12. In a dual-opteron configuration it will perform at least as fast as the Mac-Pro, contains an actual workstation graphics card(for rock-steady performance), and looks(i think) a lot better.

check it out here:
http://www.alienware.com/Configurator_Pages/mj-12_7550a.aspx?SysCode=PC-MJ12-7550-A&SubCode=SKU-DEFA...
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry for Dell. Dell is just one example. I had good experience with Dell with Window system.
Now I belive that workstation MacPro is right choose (and Dell with Window can be used as server or something like that).
For AC using it is also not necessary to equip better than MacPro (of course more ram).
But I agree to change the system is very hard work and expensive.
Anonymous
Not applicable
henrypootel wrote:
I highly recommend that you stay as far away from Dell as possible. A comparable system to the MacPro is the Alienware MJ-12.
Of course you must know that Alienware is owned by Dell now I assume that they have left well enough alone though.

How does the price of the MJ-12 compare to the MacPro? Since they are Dell's high end specialty brand I assume that it is even more expensive than the plain vanilla Dell.

The high end graphics card may or may not be a good thing. From what I've seen the most expensive cards aren't worth the up-charge when it comes to ArchiCAD - and may even be a problem. FWIW I've seen a fair number of display driver issues on a variety of PC's lately, but none on Macs.

Looks are of course a matter of personal taste and, while I appreciate both, I think the Mac looks better in a professional context than the Alienware machine which has a more aggressive "gamer" look.
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Yes, the high-end graphics card is overkill for Archicad, but at $2,469 for a rig with almost the same specs as the $2,4000 Mac Pro, it's a great option, and even sweeter if you use 3ds Max or some other program that uses the workstation Graphics card. I would have to say that the PC does have the greater share on display issues with graphics cards, but it's not a complete monopoly. This of course, is because of the far greater range available for PCs, so i don't think that this can really be held against them.
I agree with your point on the appearance though, although on the other hand, the Alienware box isn't the size(and weight) of a small continent!
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
gpowless
Advocate
http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/175801

One should be careful about installing Vista on your computer since it appears the EULA allows Microsoft to not only spy on your computer but to delete programs at will. I will not upgrade if Microsoft does not remove this capability.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
Anonymous
Not applicable
If it's any help I seriously considered a dual dual xeon Mac Pro before deciding to stick with the PC - add in the memory for the Mac Pro and the prices are not so far apart.

I wouldn't buy from Dell - many people do but I prefer to pay a premium to have my PCs custom built by a supplier in London
(http://www.armari.com)

that said, Vista is so scary at the moment that if I do decide to go with Archicad I would be very tempted to get a Mac Pro rather than put it on PC.
The Mac Pros are better built than the equivalent PC and the cooling is much quieter - when my PC dual dual-core Xeons (i.e. 4 processor) starts up, the fan noise is incredible - and that's with a 'low noise' case.
(There are even heat sinks on the memory chips - FB DIMMS - my mnfctr reckons they can reach 90 deg C.)

Hope that is some help.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmmm I bought MacBook Pro recently the weakest model only I added 1GB of RAM so altogether 2GB of RAM. I put Vista as second operating system and I was shocked!!!!!! I don't know about others who tested it but ArchiCAD preformed much much faster on my MacBook PRO with Vista than on my PC at work AMD x64 +3200 with 2GB of RAM and windows XP...

I still haven't experienced any problems running Archicad on Vista, I had my doubts before installing but all turn out to be a pleasant suprise from Microsoft in my experience!!!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
SoPoT wrote:
I don't know about others who tested it but ArchiCAD preformed much much faster on my MacBook PRO with Vista than on my PC at work AMD x64 +3200 with 2GB of RAM and windows XP...
That's been my experience. The MacBook Pro is a seriously fast Windows machine. I assume that new Core2 Duos from Dell et al are similarly quick. The cool bit is that AC seems to be about twice as fast in OS X than in XP on the same machine.