Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

!Restored: Wall-Joining Clean Up -some basics?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok
I’m back to wondering how people get the wall cleanup to work correctly.

My problem-
Sometimes it works, and half the time or more I’m moving and resizing every wall junction at every single corner or angle where walls intersect or meet, moving 10 or more times until they snap.

What I want to learn is how to speed this process up without making every single wall a polywall. There is a way, right?

Ok for example…

Inside corners don’t trigger the joining (this looks messy, but in all the shots you can't "see" the mouse- I just dragged past the inner corners, released, tried it again, took a screenshot after selecting... I DID release the mouse when they touched...)

And…

Dragging on or the other to the middle or past makes no difference….

huh>?

…and I sit here and do this for about 2-3 minutes PER WALL, dragging and releasing the corners, trying different node and wall orientation selections (it makes no difference if they match or not), moving an resizing, stretching and manipulating, sometimes deleting and trying again.
I’ve read the tutorials and done the Graphisoft ones that I've found on line and on the dvd's. No luck. Some deep setting that needs to be changed or some button triggered or…???

Any ideas?
What gives???
What am I doing wrong here?
I'm experimenting with everything I can find, and I combed the forums for someone with the exact same issue (short of not "naming" the problem right it's only me)...

What’s the trick to not taking all day to “wall” a 20 room 3 story complex?
What settings ought I to try changing to get this clean-up wall joints to work in a far more effective manner????

Thanks in advance again!!!

p.s. If it matters,
ALL the walls have the same priority. I don't know what else might be making this issue a consistently sticking one except a pebkac error...
*grin*
14 REPLIES 14
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
It does not seem like you've been reading the responses to your past posts.
1) wall reference lines must meet -- by the nodes, it looks like your reference lines are in the center of your walls, and clearly do not meet.
2) use the Intersect command -- select the two walls, Intersect, done.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Laura.
I read it, but sometimes it works, and sometimes it does not.
I wouldn't have posted a separate thread otherwise, with all the screenshots.

That's the only issue it might be?
I've experiemented, and just sometimes it works, and sometimes it does not.

Like it just worked, in the drawing above, but doing it for the last 5 minutes it didn't. Honestly I am connecting the nodes, and even with the wall reference nodes meeting and touching, on top of each other, and the wall clean up button "on"... just it only does this sometimes. I've changed the scale, zoomed way in to make sure they touch- all of which are more time consuming and slow methods. Is there some global setting I can change for when the modes get close they will snap and clean up the junction, like when they are within 1cm of each other???

If no one else knows something about this that might be helpful with deeper settings, or can point me in a new direction, I might try reinstalling= maybe something went AFK in my install or something, as this seems to be a personal issues rather than anyone else having a general issue with this function...
Thanks again- and thank you Laura. I'm trying it out...

Anonymous
Not applicable
I want to change the clean up setting so it cleans up the intersection when the wall nodes come within 5cm of each other and are released...

If I can find that setting I can figure out and tinker with it until it works just right for my pace and workflow when I am designing.

Much obliged.

--

p.s.s...

ok, pulled them apart to see if it was just me, and there it is again, nodes touching (within like 2mm from each other I would guess) and "no play"...
Maybe it is some setting I need to change I messed up?
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Basically, if the 2 walls are on Layers with the same intersection group, it should always work. My guess is you either have other walls on Layers that are turned off (but also share the same intersection group), or on other Stories that are causing interference with the walls you are trying to join.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you.
That has messed it up in the past, for sure.
I'm checking now- there are alot of layers in this pln but none intersect here... maybe something to do with other elements in the pln...
???
Yeah.
I'll bet that's it.
They're on the same level and story, but I'll bet it's the layers hidden.
I don't have these issues when I work with or start a fresh drawing on my system.

I forgot to mention, this happens almost exclusively opening AC10 with AC11 (I've the latest version- work still uses AC10 due to AutoCAD support- they don't want to tangle with the new issues yet...*grin*)..

It seems to be in the hidden layers or the files being created in AC10 and opened in AC11 perhaps...
Much obliged again.

p.s.s.s.
IS there a way to "adjust" the "snap" of the Clean Wall Beam Intersections? I'd like to get mine with a bit more range is possible.
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
TangoGrandma wrote:
p.s.s.s.
IS there a way to "adjust" the "snap" of the Clean Wall Beam Intersections? I'd like to get mine with a bit more range is possible.
No. Just use the Intersect command -- it's an extra step, but it does what you want (automatically makes the Walls' reference lines meet).

It can be found under Edit > Reshape, but we have it mapped to Ctrl+I, because we use it all the time.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah!
See, here we are again.
NOw that one end works, the other end of the wall is messed up.
I just tried deleting the wall
and then remaking it

same story
same layer as the ones at each end
nothing interects except those guide lines

no clean up wall beam intersection function!!!

Grrrr....

But again, this seems to be an issue with AC10 drawings in AC11.
...????
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
I see that the base elevation of the selected wall is -50.0 -- do both walls meet in space (or is one 50 m above the other)???
Anonymous
Not applicable
Exactly
(I just noticed this right after I hit the "submit" button, but rather than delete I'll take the chuckle at my own missing it...)
one of the above walls sits above the other
but in the other examples above, they meet for most of the wall- (one is 30cm lower than the other and not as high)
The last one was my bad- the left wall sits ON TOP
of the right wall..
DOH!!!!
Ok don't show this to my clients.
THIS is what airport coffee can do to you and working in a taxi.
LOL!!!!!

so partly the problems is also in overlaping and slightly different levels of tops and bottoms. That makes sense. And in the last pic simply the left wall sits on top of a 50cm wall on the right- so naturally there is no "joint" to "clean up"
And don't worry, I'm not working on anything critical right now- just a garden wall...

Anything about changing the node-range for the clean up though? And the slight problem still exists with unequal walls that only partially meet(I.E. a 0-to-150cm tall meeting a 30-to-280cm tall wall)... though this is not all bad. Pending walls being on the same level vs. starting at bottom elevation where the top of the other ends?

Ahhh...
Maybe I'm being too particular.
I DO want to find the settings for this clean up tool though... if possible.
Thanks!