BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

!Restored: Working with hotlinked modules & their layers

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I place a hotlink mod. I place it on a designated Ref Hotlink layer, however the layers of the file Im bringing in as a module then intergrate themselves into the rest of the layer list..

Is there way to group my hotlink layers with a prefix upon import so I can easily have my way with them?

What I am looking for is something akin to what happens when you merge an IFC and the layers all come in with IFC-A-Wall ... etc.. helping me seperate them out faster.
5 REPLIES 5
Thomas Holm
Booster
This really is a problem. I don't think there is a way to do this unless you do it in the hotlinked file before linking it. A hierarchical layer manager (just like it works with XREFs) would solve the problem, but not yet.

But since XREFs are unusable now, it doesn't matter anymore. It's at least fair

I have also asked for the hotlink's Master Layer (the one you assign the hotlink to) to be displayed in the Hotlink manager so you can find it afterwards if you forgot to take notes or rename the layer before linking. No luck.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Erich
Contributor
It is more work, but if you are linking a complete .pln file you might want to consider/try linking a module instead. Then you can at least control what comes in and what does not (both objects and layers). The drawback being that extra step of re-saving not only the module object's .pln but also marqueeing and saving out a new .mod file each time a change is made.

Unfortunately, you will still get new layers, although perhaps fewer, if they don't exist in your working file already...
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Seems like a good workaround to me.

And you should be able to publish your mod files using views. That means the marquee (if any) will be recalled along with the layer combos, etc. Sounds great in theory!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thomas wrote:
I have also asked for the hotlink's Master Layer (the one you assign the hotlink to) to be displayed in the Hotlink manager so you can find it afterwards if you forgot to take notes or rename the layer before linking. No luck.
if you select the module on plan (grouping on) and right click or go to file/external content you'll see an option available called hotlink module settings. select that and you will be presented with the window you get when hotlinking files, so you can see the 'master' layer for the module (and change it if you so wish) and also the module's elevation in the z axis... all the settings you are presented with at the beginning are there
Thomas Holm
Booster
xristina wrote:
if you select the module on plan (grouping on) and right click or go to file/external content you'll see an option available called hotlink module settings. Select that and you will be presented with the window you get when hotlinking files, so you can see the 'master' layer for the module (and change it if you so wish) and also the module's elevation in the z axis... all the settings you are presented with at the beginning are there
So it has to be selected while grouping is on – when not, it isn't even a greyed out menu option in the External Contents sub-menu . . .
But I have seen it sometime . . . Why couldn't I remember it when I needed?

So. Beaten by a Junior... I'll run screaming back to my stinking cave and mourn my pride . . .

Until I dare show up again, a big thanks xristina, I really needed this one, I never remember to take enough notes!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Learn and get certified!