BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Revit cells not working

Eric Milberger
Advocate

I have to create seating for a sports areana.  Typical theater seating.  A number of vendors but only one in the US has Revit files.

None of the others have anything and none in Europe even come close.

When I copy even one of there files into the Archicad model it shows great but cannot be plotted or translated into an IFC file.  I am at a loss and dead in the water and losing a client.

I need help quickly but don’t know where to find help.

Eric Milberger, Architect | Master Planner
12 REPLIES 12
Barry Kelly

@Eric Milberger wrote:

When I copy even one of there files into the Archicad model it shows great but cannot be plotted or translated into an IFC file.

Is it a 3D model or just 2D drawings?

And what is a 'Revit Cell' - your title makes no sense.

Don't forget this is an Archicad forum.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

That is correct and the world is a Revit world.

It is an RFA file which is the comparable to a 3D cell in generic language’

In this case it is a RFA item brought into Archicad. And needs to be duplicated a dozen times

But not even one works.  It looks great in hte model but crashes when trying to save as a ifc file or plot.

So by saying 'Cell' you actually mean 'Object'?

There was no mention in your original post that it was an RFA object or that Archicad was crashing.

I assume you are using the 'Import RFA to GDL object' add-on to import the seating?

It could be that there is something in that RFA object that Archicad just does not like - they can become very big objects (file size wise).

Have you tried any other (smaller and less complicated) RFA files?

So it seems like you can actually import the RFA file.

Maybe then convert the GDL object into a morph.

See if that can now print and export as IFC.

You can always save it back as an object if you need to.

Maybe converting it to a morph will fix any problem geometry?

I don't know if it will work, but it is worth a try.

Also make sure Archicad is up to date with the latest build (6000 I believe).

Other than that, if you have a support agreement, you could maybe ask your local Archicad support for help?

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru

Without the context of AC, "3D Cell" to me would be an image of a cellular structure such as a protein or as everyone has seen sars-cov-2...

If any of the vendors had 3ds file, could you try running an optimise operation on it in MAX, then bringing that into AC.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Djordje
Ace

You are running out of resources.

The seat is too detailed, with too many polygons, and however good Archicad is in showing complex geometry, an area can be too much.

Try using the inbuilt theatre/stadium seating Archicad object (not cell, that might be the Microstation term?) for general layouting, and you can use the highly detailed RFA model for visualization close ups.

All this is in general because the problem is not easy to understand the way you have explained it, and this is my best guess...

... once upon a time, about 20 years ago, I wrote a small HowTo on converting the 3ds/DWG/DXF meshes to GDL on an example of a Mercedes GTR race car. The principle stays the same: take care of your polygons!!!!

To make sure it is the polygons, and not something nastier: Select that object in 3D window, and run PolyCount. Then you shall see.

Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen

Thank-you as that at least answered my question.

I know know I will require ModelPort for my projects.

Trying to find all I need to make things work.

Erwin Edel
Rockstar

I found the theater/stadium seating library from archicad adequate as well. You need several separate objects placed to get a decent layout of seats, but it works.

Below something I mocked up a long time ago, using those parts.

icehockey_web.jpg

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

The seating like this does not work as the drawings for construction have to be created and the cells are already there to use.  I am still evaluating where to land - and I want it to be here.

But the time to recreate what they have in a Revit cell is 30minutes  vs 30hours time so far.

ModelPort helps may be my solution.  The concern is when I get a model with 10,000 seats.

Eric,

It would be helpful if you used the correct terminology. Things are called what they are called for a reason. You might internally translate the names and ideas - just as if you are speaking a non native language - but, as in a non native language, the native speakers of that language would understand and be helpful much sooner if they understood your issue immediately

Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Learn and get certified!