Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Roof Construction

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wish to construct a regular sloped roof that is 16" thick inside the walls, and 7" thick for the eaves. Can anyone advise on a way to do this efficiently? The most efficient I think would be an option for 'multiple thicknesses' or 'profiles' for the same roof object. I'm sure i can get what i'm after by using the SEO tool, but if there is another faster method, I would love to hear it!

Thank you.
3 REPLIES 3
TomWaltz
Participant
Let's talk construction, not Archicad, for a minute:
Why is the roof thicker inside than out? Do you mean the structural members are thicker?

The reason I ask: I find that the roof tool is terrible for creating both roofs and fascias. Assiming we are talking about residential, I usually recommend that the roof tool is only used for the roof sheathing, using a profiled wall to create the soffit, fascia, and eaves, and a second "lower roof" to represent the rafters.

It's not ideal from an ease-of-creation standpoint, but it rocks for making construction documents that look right.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
The Roof is Cathedral, with 16" rafters, and and lower profile eave.

Currently I have solved the problem by using Cadimage RoofBuilder, and using SEO to 'subtract' a narrower 'second roof' that represents the eave thickness from the 'main roof'.

Thanks for the innovative advice on the profiled wall. Interesting solution.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tom
Thanks for sharing the C.P. roof idea.
Not sure I get it all though.
Attached is really basic C.P. concept I think you were explaining but
wanted to see if I was getting the general idea, or misunderstood something
important.
Any comments appreciated.
Bier