BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Roof Edge showing on Plan View?

sirduncan02
Participant
Just this morning I noticed something very odd with my plans that I'm working on. The edges of the roof planes are showing on plan view. This shows up when 2 roof planes of different pitches intersect at perpendicular. It shows as 2 distinct lines, running parallel at random distances apart. But only 1 of the lines is selectable.

This also shows up on the ends (eaves and rakes). Sure, I can manually adjust the edge to be vertical to make that line go away, but, #1- I don't want to have to do that for every edge, and every time I change a roof plane. and #2 - Archicad has been doing a fine job of controlling the edges with what I consider the proper edge viewing in plan view until just today.

Since this just showed up this morning, it makes me think this is an 'On-Screen' setting that I accidentally changed somehow, but can't I find anything. I'm not aware of any other changes to my system. The roof plan is set to 'Outlines Only', but I've tried the other settings and it won't stop doing this.

I have attached an image showing what's happening. The horizontal blue lines are a roof plane. The difference between the two parallel blue lines is the 'custom edge' (that I did not set) that is now showing on plan. You can see the 2 black parallel lines are doing the same thing for another roof plane.

Anyone have any ideas?
Johnathan Duncan
www.CastleGateDesign.com
Working in AC 26 5002 USA FULL.
Dell 5820 Tower X-Series
Intel Core i9-10940x CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.31 GHz
64.0 GB Installed RAM
NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 video card.
3 REPLIES 3
sirduncan02
Participant
Research Update:

So I've been working on my template, trying to get it updated and work better and it may have been this. When I open up a copy of an older template, the roof lines display properly. This makes me thing even more it is an on-screen view option that my have been flipped errantly.

When I copy the same 'wrong' roof lined planes from my updated template back into my older template, the extra lines go away.

So - where is the setting that I don't know about and didn't know I switched?
Johnathan Duncan
www.CastleGateDesign.com
Dell 5820 Tower X-Series
64.0 GB Installed RAM
Barry Kelly
Options menu > Project Preferences > Legacy...

If you are using single roof planes and getting the true 3D top view then you will see the top and bottom surface edges of the roof if the bottom surface is larger than the top (i.e. edge not vertical).

Multi-plane roofs you never will because all planes join together automatically.

Barry.
roof_legacy.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
sirduncan02
Participant
Thank you! Yes, I switched off the legacy intersections so that I could generate my sections easier, and somewhere read that I should deselect the 'Symbolic Display' option as well. So I did.

For my purposes, for now, I'll re-check that box and now it's looking right again.

Thank you. I'll look into those multiplane roofs later.
Johnathan Duncan
www.CastleGateDesign.com
Dell 5820 Tower X-Series
64.0 GB Installed RAM
Learn and get certified!