BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Roof Materials do not follow roof slope

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello All -

I have attached an image to show what my problem is. In the image you will see that the roofing materials do not follow the slope of the roof all the way to the eave. I created the roof materials using the "Extras | Accessories | Roof Accessories" tool. I played with most of the settings and have searched the ArchiCAD help files and the forums and cannot seem to find a way to have the roofing materials follow the slope properly.

Another question is there a tool within ArchiCAD that will allow me to create an eave detail that follows the rake of the gable ends? I have uses "profiler" to create eaves on horizontal areas.

Thanks once again - Chris

ArchiCAD 9.0
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Good morning all -

If there is anyone out there that can help me fix this problem any and all suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Cheers - Chris
TDabney
Enthusiast
Chris -
I have had moderate success w/the roof surfacer tool. It does seem a bit cumbersome. I'm not sure why it's not following your roof surface - I couldn't tell from the image you posted, but does your roof change pitch? While I don't have AC open at the moment to test, I think there was a parameter in the roof surfacer object (once placed) to adjust how far above the roof it is placed - maybe that's what you're looking for? If all you're after is to get the shingles to show in elevation view, it's much easier to just apply the shingles hatch to a roof plane instead of messing w/the surfacer. I usually create a 1/2" thick roof (like the plywood sheathing) and over hang it 1" or so over my facia for a little shadow line - that's the roof I apply the hatch to. I usually only use the roof surfacer on metal roofs when I need to model a corrugated roof or similar. Sorry for the rambling - it's saturday and my "work" mind has shut down to allow my "mow the lawn" mind to get going. Facias are a long standing issue w/AC. There are many ways to deal - slabs, roofs, profiler, archiforma etc... That is something that AC could really use some help with.
Tom
TND Architects P.L.L.C.
macOS 12.7
2021 16" MacBook Pro
Apple M1 Max
ArchiCAD 26/27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Good morning Tom -

Thanks for the post on a "non-work day" I removed all of the roof surfacer fills and did the hatching like you suggested and liked the results. I looked around for a way of creating
I usually create a 1/2" thick roof (like the plywood sheathing) and over hang it 1" or so over my facia for a little shadow line - that's the roof I apply the hatch to.
and could not see a way of doing that. The roof tool, as far as I could see does not have a way of defining a thickness. If you have a chance would you please post a bit of direction on how to do this. It is exactly what I want to do with this project.

Best regards- Chris
TDabney
Enthusiast
Chris -
You can set the thickness of a roof just like walls and slabs - I don't have AC open in front of me now, but I copied a section from the (gasp) manual for you. You can set the roof plane's thickness either vertically or perpendicularly. Even though the option seems grayed out in the manual - as long as you're not using a composite roof, they will be editable.
Hope that helps,
Tom
roof tool.jpg
TND Architects P.L.L.C.
macOS 12.7
2021 16" MacBook Pro
Apple M1 Max
ArchiCAD 26/27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks .... again!

What you showed me, from the manual, I have been using. Coming from a structural engineering back ground, dealing mostly with wooden roof, floor and building components, I saw this image you posted as "trusses" not a roofing material such as decking or shingles. Now it is all rather clear to me. I was looking at the image and seeing only one option. You have shown me there is more than one way to imagine this tool.

Have a great rest of the weekend.

Best regards - Chris
TDabney
Enthusiast
cgorgas wrote:
Now it is all rather clear to me. I was looking at the image and seeing only one option. You have shown me there is more than one way to imagine this tool.
This is true for almost all the basic AC tools - roofs, slabs, walls, meshes, columns etc.... Its is good (and often necessary) to do a lot of lateral thinking if you want a complete and accurate model in a reasonable amount of time.
Tom
TND Architects P.L.L.C.
macOS 12.7
2021 16" MacBook Pro
Apple M1 Max
ArchiCAD 26/27
Learn and get certified!