BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Roof Ridge Modeling (Intersecting Gables)

toman311
Enthusiast
1. I have two gable roofs which intersect one another perpendicularly. One of the gable roofs ridge is above the other gable roof ridge at the ridge line. What I am wanting to do is to have the lower ridge line extend to the higher ridge line while maintaining its slope only around the part where the higher ridge line is. The rest of the roof would have the same ridge line as it was originally drawn.
>ArchiCAD 23, 7000 USA FULL

>iMac, 27-inch, 2020, Processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
A screen capture or diagram would be helpful.
toman311
Enthusiast
Screenshot
Screen Shot 2015-01-09 at 2.13.07 PM.png

>iMac, 27-inch, 2020, Processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is this the desired effect?
toman311
Enthusiast
Yes, how can that be done?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Step 1: create nodes at the intersections of your gables.
Step 2: extrude the face between the nodes so that it intersects the peak of your higher gable
Step 3: use the trim command on the intersecting roof planes or manually move the nodes to where they intersect the roof ridge
Step 4: duplicate step 3 on the remaining roof.
toman311
Enthusiast
I'm not getting the option to add additional nodes on the gable roof where the two gables intersect. I do get the option when I am clicking on a red wireframe line, but this is where the walls meet the roof so that doesn't work.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does the pet pallet not appear when you click on your roof's edge? That's how you can enter nodes; by selecting the first option on the pet pallet: insert new node, you can then modify how your roof is shaped. Also: you do not need to click the intersection to generate the node. Create the node along the ridge line of your roof and then move it till it intersects the opposing gable.
Pet Pallet Node.jpg
toman311
Enthusiast
When I click on the roofs ridge, this is the pet pallet that I receive...

[Drag Horizontal Ridge] [Elevate Horizontal Ridge]
[Drag] [Rotate] [Mirror] [Multiply]

Hmmm...I'm clueless.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not quite sure how you've constructed that roof, but generally I construct mine out of single plane roofs so that I have complete control over what they do. Try recreating your roof using these options:
Learn and get certified!