BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Roof Wizard and Rafters

Anonymous
Not applicable
Whenever I use the roof wizard it always ends up putting the rafters on top of the roof. Is there a setting that controls this that I'm missing?
10 REPLIES 10
Rick Thompson
Expert
I'm not sure, but I don't have that problem. I have a composite roof with a 5 1/2" cavity (for 2x6's). When I use the wizard the rafters are placed in the cavity... more or less. Maybe the roof composite you are using is incorrect?

It's going to place the rafters at the bottom of the composite.
Picture 1.png
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Barry Kelly
I'm guessing you only model to top skin of your roof (I do the same).
Roofmaker will place the roof timbers on the bottom surface of your roof.
If you allow a cavity in the composite like Rick does then it will all work well.
It would be nice to have a vertical offset built into the wizzard maybe instead of moving everything after it is placed.
The other option is to just copy the roof surface down to the level you want then delete or hide it.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
I'm guessing you only model to top skin of your roof (I do the same).
Yes, that is what I do. Looks like I'll be adding a cavity. Thanks.
Rick Thompson
Expert
When I want exposed rafters, I model the roof with the cavity, generate the rafters, then select all the roofs and switch composites to one that just has the decking and roofing. Then raise those roofs by the rafter depth. It is a work around, but not that bad. It can be pretty quick.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rick,

You must have been reading my mind. I tried doing the composite thing with a cavity thinking the cavity wouldn't show. It did even though I checked the "hide" box in the dialog.

This workaround will work for me. Thanks.
Rick Thompson
Expert
glad it helped
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Rakela Raul
Participant
It would be nice to have a vertical offset built into the wizzard maybe instead of moving everything after it is placed.
agree

very nice views Rick !!
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rakela wrote:
agree

very nice views Rick !!
Can the "Create Roof Level Lines" command be used to do anything about this? I've never messed with it myself and don't know exactly what it's for.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for some useful tips guys, whilst were on the subject, i have the following problem

i have placed a roof on the outside points of my walls, i then goto the roof wizard and place my rafters etc, however, my plates (eaves purlins in archicad) do not sit on my walls, why not?
i know its me being a bumb arse, any help would be apprecieated.

Learn and get certified!