Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Roof construction with apartments in

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I would like to draw my new project in ArchiCAD. Problem is I don't know weather I should work with roof elements/angled walls/angled slabs...
I'm trying to draw the attached sketchup file. (well actually only the market, which is the big complex in the center. You might have to activate a few more layers in sketchup) I also added a section to illustrate what I'm trying to make... Until now I tried it with angled walls, on which I would preform solid elements operations than, but I don't think this is the best solution. (see screenshots)

Any suggestions on how I can draw this?

Thanks in advance!
Vincent

Attachments can be found here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8njh2onlx5ql41m/D2FNnBwS7t
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think that I would draw these roofs with the roof tool and use a composite structure. This way you should be able to make it clean up with your walls. I'm assuming you are using 17. Not sure if earlier versions can do this.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Scott wrote:
I think that I would draw these roofs with the roof tool and use a composite structure. This way you should be able to make it clean up with your walls. I'm assuming you are using 17. Not sure if earlier versions can do this.
Would you use tilted flat roofs or just the pitched roof tool? Problem is one side has a nod in it...
Anonymous
Not applicable
An image would help.

Also, add system information and AC version to your signature (in your profile, link at top of forum page) as answers may vary depending on what you are using.
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art wrote:
An image would help.

Also, add system information and AC version to your signature (in your profile, link at top of forum page) as answers may vary depending on what you are using.
An image as well as my archicad file and the sketchup of the project can be found here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8njh2onlx5ql41m/D2FNnBwS7t

I'm working on a MacBook Pro, 2,2 GHz Intel Core i7 processor, 16 GB of RAM memory, running OSX 10.9.1 . I'm currently working in AC17 but also have a version of AC16 on my MacBook. I'll add the info to my signature!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSNyWR57Ylk
and think it must be possible for me to construct it like that.
However, when drawing the complex roof, AC17 doesn't allow me to move the ridges. Anyone knows if it is possible to do so in AC17 and if so what I might be doing wrong?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am not having any trouble in 17. However if you are creating a non orthogonal roof, the 'move ridge horizontal' icon in the pet palette may not appear.

I tried several 5 sided roofs with acute angles etc, the ridge icon would not operate on any of them. All roofs that are 'traditional' with even numbers of sides that are parallel to each other - it worked just fine.

It seems that some roofs are over-constrained and the ridge can not be moved horizontally without altering the basic geometry of the roof.

Some one at GS may have more information on when and why this ridge tool will operate.
Barry Kelly
I haven't seen the roof you are trying to create.
But as for the ridge and moving it.
My understanding of roofs is that a ridge only exists between two parallel surfaces (i.e. pivot lines are parallel - roof plane can be any shape).

If the planes (pivot lines) are not parallel then you have a hip or a valley and you can not adjust their position as they are always bisecting the angle of the pivot lines.
All you can do with these is adjust the end points individually.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
In AC ridges may be quite limited, but the definition of a ridge is fairly broad:
Ridge
4. (Architecture)
a. the top of a roof at the junction of two sloping sides
b. (as modifier): a ridge tile.
Merriam-Webster:
5: the line of intersection at the top between the opposite slopes or sides of a roof
Ridges.jpg