BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Roof on a curved wall

sirduncan02
Participant
I'm appealing to the 'older' crowd here - since my question involves ArchiCAD 11 (yes, way back at 11).

I just upgraded to AC 18, but have a number of projects I want to get finished up in 11 and not go through the switch to 18 yet.

See the attached image. I have 2 curved walls and I need to create a curved roof with two gable ends to sit on these walls.

I tried using multiple single roof plans, but the client demands it be a smooth curve.

Is this Possible IN ARCHICAD V11?? I see several options for AC 18, and I'll be learning that. But for now - I could really use an answer for AC11.
Johnathan Duncan
www.CastleGateDesign.com
Working in AC 26 5002 USA FULL.
Dell 5820 Tower X-Series
Intel Core i9-10940x CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.31 GHz
64.0 GB Installed RAM
NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 video card.
3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly
I can't remember if 11 had Profile Manager.
I only have back to version 12 on my laptop.

If so that will work if you create a custom profile wall (or beam).

Otherwise you are stuck with lots of single plane roofs.

The only other things I can think of is a maybe trying to put together some primitive shape objects from the library and using Solid Element Operations (if that exists in 11?) or scripting it with GDL if you are able to do that.

Barry.
curved_roof.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
sirduncan02:

I looked at this in ArchiCAD 10, and the Profile Manager is there, but Complex Walls (or Beams) do not have the Circular Geometry Method (maybe this was added in AC11).

You could use the Profiler Add-On, which takes a drawn profile and converts it to an Object which can follow a curved path, see the description:
About the "Profiler" Add-On

I thought this was a Goodie that would be downloaded from Graphisoft, but could not find it there, you should check to see if it is already installed on your computer (you can use the Add-On Manager to check for it).

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
sirduncan02
Participant
Thank you for your input. I did find the Profiler tool in 11 and am now playing with that. It does indeed allow me to create the 'smooth curve' over this roof portion. Now I'll just have to play with it more to get it to look just right.

Thank you!
Johnathan Duncan
www.CastleGateDesign.com
Working in AC 26 5002 USA FULL.
Dell 5820 Tower X-Series
Intel Core i9-10940x CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.31 GHz
64.0 GB Installed RAM
NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 video card.
Learn and get certified!