BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Roof training materials

jspillerTHAA
Participant

Hi

We are progressing through the free training videos and having looked at the various other resources are surprised that there is nothing specific to modelling roofs. Is this something that Graphisoft has been made aware of? Do other users feel this would be of benefit?

5 REPLIES 5

I just read the how to in the help pdf. And experimented alot lol

jfaugustine
Booster

While the help file explains how the roof objects function technically, it is helpful to have an understanding of the type of roof(s) you are planning to model; i.e. low slope, steep slope with dormers, etc.  Based on the type of roof and personal modeling preferences, the modeling strategy can be determined.  Single-plane roof geometry offers trimming abilities that the multi-plane roof does not. Also, sloped roofs and walls typically involve solid element operations to finish the model.  So maybe sharing more information as to the type of roof being created will help in providing more guidance and suggestions.

ArchiCAD since 8.0, currently on 22, waiting on 26, maybe...

This is an amazing statement btw

Hi

No one particular type of roof, just roofs in general. Roofs are, for me at least, one of the most important and difficult elements to model and adjust, especially if the supporting external walls are not square on. There's lots of Youtube stuff, but a lot of it is not good. 

Understood.  It really comes down to understanding what each of the tools can do, as well as the intended output for both renderings and construction documents.  I find that creating a dormer-type roof requires a bit of coordination to get the graphics to "read" correctly in plan views as well as appear uniform in 3D.  (For instance, those little triangular walls on the side walls can be a bit tricky.  Sometimes a Solid Element Operation is used to trim the walls by the roof above the deck, and other times it is trimming the knee-wall below.)

ArchiCAD since 8.0, currently on 22, waiting on 26, maybe...
Learn and get certified!