BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Roofs Showing Properly Across Stories

Dave Jochum
Advocate
How does one get roofs to display properly in plan? For instance, when viewed from one story above, it should be a solid line as defined in the Settings Box. When the active window is the story below the roof, it should show as a dashed line. The roof tool doesn't allow one to have its linetype ignored so the Construction Elements Preference can alter its display. I've been copy/pasting between stories and manually changing the linetype to a dash. Pretty pathetic workaround. Am I missing something basic?
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's in the preferences. I think it's "construction elements" or something (I'm not running AC at the moment to check). You can set the line type for elements above and below the current story.
Dave Jochum
Advocate
The Construction Elements Preference only works on objects that you can select to ignore the objects standard linetype--hence my question. Is everyone using a workaround like I am?
Dave Jochum
Djordje
Ace
Dave wrote:
The Construction Elements Preference only works on objects that you can select to ignore the objects standard linetype--hence my question. Is everyone using a workaround like I am?
Is the visibility of your roofs set to One storey above and below? If you do that, AND change the default that the objects are seen as dashed one storey above (something I have been asking for since I started using ArchiCAD), it should work - BUT, only for one storey above and below ... or if you need it on all stories, that is also possible as you know.

Screen shot, please?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Dave Jochum
Advocate
OK--The Construction Elements Preference DOES work for roof elements. I was confused by the terminology "Above Home Story" and "Below..." It refers to the element, not the viewpoint. So this works for showing roofs above as dashed, however, since it's not "smart", all lines of the roof above are shown, whether they are wanted or not. (For instance a covered outdoor area, where the entire roof is outside would display fine, however, showing only the outline of a main roof overhang is not possible.) I hope I'm making this clear. Bottom line is that I'll have to continue for the most part as I have--copy a roof, go down a story, paste, explode, delete unwanted lines. Now I just won't have to additionally change the linetype to dashed.

This is just another function that would be desireable in a BIM solution.
Dave Jochum
Anonymous
Not applicable
You are entirely clear. You want an eaves overhang outline on the floor below the roof without the hips and valleys showing. Unfortunately this is not possible using the actual roofs for drawing the overhead conditions.

If you model the soffit (assuming such is part of your design) with a slab, you can set that to make the dashed outline you desire. The inside line of the slab is hidden by the exterior walls.
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Matthew wrote:
If you model the soffit (assuming such is part of your design) with a slab, you can set that to make the dashed outline you desire. The inside line of the slab is hidden by the exterior walls.
Right. Unfortunately, I often have exposed beams and rafter tails (which I don't care to dash in overhead.) As always, thanks for the help.
Dave Jochum
Learn and get certified!