Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Room accesories

Tom Krowka
Booster
I am attempting to use the room accessories, wall and panel with trim. All seems to work fine with two exceptions.

Doors and windows do not cut out automatically when the object is placed. Do I have to go back and cut openings in the object. It seems it would know there is a door/window and cut itself out. Or do I have to place the accessory object first, then put in doors and windows. Seems like a backward process.

Also, how do I control the height of the ceiling trim and panel above the wainscot. My zone is 14 feet tall, but the top panel and trim go to an arbitrary height, maybe 10 feet or so.

I set height of the object at 14 feet, no go. There seems to be a parameter missing in the dialogue box. I can set the panel below wainscoting trim, but not above.
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
7 REPLIES 7
Tom Krowka
Booster
Also, what does "use top wall bounding box" or "bottom wall bounding box" mean? It does not seem those two buttons have any impact on what happens when I insert the object.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but don't know what. No infor in the manual.

Do I have to selct the wall first so it knows where the openings are?

Nice feature, hardly usable.......
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
TomWaltz
Participant
Nice feature, hardly usable.......
That's my opinion of the "Accessory Tools" in general.... nice idea, seems like it has potential.... until you actually try to use them!

I'd be much more excited about them if they were better behaved and allowed custom profiles.
Tom Waltz
Tom Krowka
Booster
I'd be excited if I could get it cut out windows and get to the right height.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tom wrote:
...Doors and windows do not cut out automatically when the object is placed. Do I have to go back and cut openings in the object. It seems it would know there is a door/window and cut itself out. Or do I have to place the accessory object first, then put in doors and windows. Seems like a backward process...

Tom,
Are you placing a zone in the rooms and using "Extras/Interior Wizard/Create Room Accesories"...??? If not, it ain't gonna' cut any holes automatically.

HTH,
Dan K
Tom Krowka
Booster
Tried that one too. I can get that one to work. But the wall accessories is a different tool. The manual does say that it recognizes door and windows, but not how.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tom wrote:
Tried that one too. I can get that one to work. But the wall accessories is a different tool. The manual does say that it recognizes door and windows, but not how.

There are (at least) three ways to add wall accessories:

1. Create a zone and use the 'Interior Wizard' -> 'Create Room Accessories'. After a bit of playing around I have started to use this with not to bad results - the main problems being not being able to control the direction/origin of the 3D texture, not being able to use your own profiles and not being able to use all of the GS profiles (there is another post somewhere listing which ones are buggy and how to fix them.)

Using this method should always cut holes for doors and windows, and it also makes it easy to update, if you change your zone shape or height, or add a new opening you can just go to 'Update Room Accessories' and it actually works!

2. Select a wall (or walls) that you want to accessorize, go to 'Extras' -> 'Accessories' -> 'Wall Accessories'. Set your wall up and when you click ok you choose which side of the wall you want the accessories to be placed. This method also cuts holes for openings.

3. The third method is to not select anything, go to 'Extras' -> 'Accessories' -> 'Wall Accessories' and set all your options. When you've ok'd this you have to draw a path for your accessories to follow - this method does NOT cut holes for openings.

Both methods 2 + 3 create objects that aren't that easy to update, it's usually easier to just make them again if you need to alter them.

Hope this is a little bit helpful for you.

Cheers,
Tom
Tom Krowka
Booster
Thanks for the info. I'll try it again.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com