BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Rotate Command - Protractor

Anonymous
Not applicable
Any way to turn off the protractor that pops up with AC16 and the rotate command?
Gets in the way. Any value added? Can't find any use for it except visually blocking the object I am working on.
The numeric angles and suggested guide lines are plenty of a visual cue for me.
Thanks

Protractor.JPG
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly
It is probably of more value in 3D as it helps to identify which plane you are rotating in.

I don't know of a way to turn it off in Archicad itself but I notice in the Windows Registry there is a value for the protractor size.
Default is 300 but maybe if set to zero it will turn off.
It can be found in the section for "3D Editing Plane".
I have just tried this myself but I am only running in demo version and it doesn't seem to make any difference.
Maybe there is another registry value somewhere.

Word of caution - when editing the registry keep note of the original values or better still export them so they can be restored if needed.
Editing registry values is not recommended unless you are cnfident in what you are doing.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Gorazd
Booster
This registry value affects the size of protractor in 3D window only. But in 3D the protractor is quite useful. For 2D window there seems to be no option for hide it.
------

Gorazd Rajh

AC 25, Ryzen 9 5900HS, 48 GB RAM, RTX 3080, Win 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
g.h.design wrote:
Any way to turn off the protractor that pops up with AC16 and the rotate command?
Gets in the way. Any value added? Can't find any use for it except visually blocking the object I am working on.
Thanks
Ditto that!
+1

just like the new "pain in the a**" guidelines, the new protractor should have an option to revert to old style.

please, please give us old guidelines back
arch. ernest atanasiu
AC 10-26 INT/GER/FR on Win 10/ Win 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
lec1212 wrote:
g.h.design wrote:
Thanks
Ditto that!
YEH, Wanted to emphasize that the protractor is especially annoying when I'm rotating small objects, this time a sconce; or a light switch etc.
It's like using an atom bomb on an ant.
But please don't get rid of the new guide lines with the numeric read outs, that's very helpful.
Maybe the protractor is great in 3d, (haven't worked with it there yet), but please provide a way to turn just the protractor off in 2d.
Thanks
lec
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks all for the responses.

I like the use of an atom bomb on an ant analogy. Exactly right.

Definitely a work flow detriment not enhancer...
Even in 3D. Never have lost track of where I am...
Wish I could just turn it off.
Oh well.

Cheers!
Learn and get certified!