Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Rotated Skylight Axis?

Jefferson
Participant
My searches haven't yielded any information so hoping somebody's got a simple-ish solution for this......

I have an odd condition where I want to place a rectangular skylight with the axis non-perpendicular-parallel to the roof axis it will "reside" in, but rather parallel to the interior wall below, at 15° off..........can't find a way to make a skylight do this. [attached screen shot should hep illustrate]

Was kind of hoping I didn't have to build one. Any help is certainly appreciated.....

preferred rotation.png
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
7 REPLIES 7
Make a hole in the roof... then place the skylight as an object...it will not match the slope 100% and You will have to adjust the slope manually.
(to adjust better You may have to explode the skylight to morph at the end...)

Best Regards,
Piotr
Jefferson
Participant
Thanks for the prompt reply Piotr - Having not placed a skylight as anything other than a skylight before I'm not certain I understand - the sequence or steps to do that?

Can you elaborate?
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

Barry Kelly
Just use the object tool to place the skylight in plan and rotate as required.
Place a section along the skylight axis and open it.
Here you can measure the angle of the roof to put in the skylight parameter and also adjust the height of the skylight to match the roof.
Cut the roof hole manually.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Jefferson
Participant
Copy all that - gave it a go and my results are below.....

ultimately ended up using my Objective rotate tool in section views to align the two axis's as best as possible sort of fighting the skewed skylight axis.

Which leads back to my original question....with the skylight axis skewed, I can't see how you get everything cleanly aligned. And that's not taking into account the issues with the perspective appearance of the skylight as is slopes down the roof.........in a way that appears to be relative to original axis.

I really couldn't see another way to rotate and tilt the skylight. Still don't actually.....Al this said it's entirely possible I'm just missing on how to execute
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

Jefferson
Participant
plan view
plan view.png
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

Barry Kelly
I should have looked at it properly in 3D.
The main axis (pitch) can be adjusted by simply measuring the angle of the roof on that axis and setting the roof pitch parameter in the object.

But yes you will need something like the Objective add-on to alter the pitch side to side.
I don't have that so not sure if you can still then adjust all the object parameters to suit the roof thickness or whether you have to set those first.

I am not sure if rotating the angle of both axes with Objective is going to throw one out a little bit.
So maybe adjust the main pitch manually in the object and then adjust the sideways pitch with objective?

Thinking about it you will need to adjust the side pitch from a 3D view perpendicular to the bottom end of the skylight (once you have the main pitch set.
i.e. you will be looking flat along the roof surface and not vertically from a section.

Barry.
skylight.jpg
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
Don't adjust side angle from section as in my previous image.

Barry.
skylight_2.jpg
Versions 6.5 to 27