Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.
SOLVED!

Rotation axes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all!

Why is not possible to change rotation axis? Why can I rotate object in all axes (x,y,z) without transfer it to the morf? This is really big disadvantage compare to Autocad.

Thank you
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly
If it just a simple straight run then it may be best to create a complex profile beam which you can then incline.
Beams will trim if joined at corners - but not so well when they are sloping.

This is when you would use a morph and rotate it to match the wall.
Then you can select the end face and tube it along the walls and around corners, up and down - even curves.

Just thought another option these days in version 21 is to create a railing with a custom profile rail and run this around your wall.
Here is a quick 1 minute test.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Barry Kelly
What is it you are wanting to rotate?

Walls and columns can be slanted.
Beams can be inclined.
A rotated slab is a roof.
Objects can be rotated if it has been scripted into them - or there is a 'rotate' object floating around somewhere that can rotate any object.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Barry,

I tried to rotate the wall. I had to transform it to the morph. Then it worked. Anyway: My problem is this:

I need Alu profiles to my project: https://alwitra.de/en/aluminium-profiles/roof-edge-trim-profiles/

There is possibility to download it (just at the end of website) in several formats. I downloaded it as DWG file and import it to the Library. I need to rotate it around X and Y axis. Only possibility is the morph again. Any other idea, please?
Barry Kelly
I think we may have a problem with terminology?
By 'rotate' do you mean extrude a profile along a path both horizontally and/or vertically at the same time?
If so then the morph 'Tube' option is what you will be looking for.
Depending on the path direction you need to take, you may have to break it up into short line segments because I don't think it is possible to stretch along a path that curves in 2 directions at the same time.

If you can show an image of what you are trying to do we may have some more suggestions for you.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
felcunha
Expert
You have to be more precise if you want to have a good answer... You start to talk about objects (which are placed in embedded or loaded libraries), now you want to rotate a wall...
If you want to compare Archicad to Autocad do it, but keep in mind in Autocad everything is "morph" or 2D, while Archicad deals with architectural elements ! That's why you can't rotate a wall along the x or y axis.
By the way it's possible to tweak objects to be rotated differently but I think it's not what you want I think.
Felipe Ribeiro Cunha

AC 26, macOS Monterey
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys,

thank you for answers. Here is my problem:

The first picture is an original one. As you can see, I need to rotate Aluminium profile like on the second picture (rotated in Photoshop). How can I do this? Only possibility is trasfer this Alu profile to the Morph. Am I right?

Lingwisyer
Guru
By the looks of it, you could model your aluminium profile as a Complex Profile then extrude it as a Beam along your roof edge.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Solution
Barry Kelly
If it just a simple straight run then it may be best to create a complex profile beam which you can then incline.
Beams will trim if joined at corners - but not so well when they are sloping.

This is when you would use a morph and rotate it to match the wall.
Then you can select the end face and tube it along the walls and around corners, up and down - even curves.

Just thought another option these days in version 21 is to create a railing with a custom profile rail and run this around your wall.
Here is a quick 1 minute test.
Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you. I will try the rail profile. I do not know Complex profile. I have to study it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Not so cool

Why is such a big problem to add the feature "rotation by all axes" to the Archicad? Graphisoft should do this. It will make this SW much more suitable.