Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Round roof with roof accessories

Eduardo Viana
Contributor

Hello all,

I have been modelling an old house with the very useful add-on roof accessories to create 3D modeled roof tiles.

I have now come to a standstill regarding a roundish roof. It goes as in the following image:

EduardoViana_0-1636541513966.png

The problem is that the roof accessory only works on roofs. I have tried using a shell but the add-on doesn't respond. When it comes to the linear straight overhung part I usually to an airspace roof then cover it with the add-on tile. I was trying to operate the same trick with the round shell but I haven't been able to do so. 

Any tips on this mundane modelling query?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

There's no need to do any GDL scripting to achieve this.

Just create a small roof segment with that 5% pitch and apply the accessory to it. and then convert the whole thing into a Morph object.
(you might have to Boolean Union them to make them one combined single object).
And then in 3D rotate it to line up to one side of the curve with the plane of the wall as the rotation axis, and then rotate and multiply to complete the process with the radius and center-point as that curved wall you've already modeled.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Have you tried using multiple roof pieces to generate the curve? That might allow you to use the covering.

That doesn't work because the covering always follows the pitch of the roof..

EduardoViana_0-1636554009529.png

I need to make a roof with 5% pitch but rotated sideways to follow the curve

Sometimes you just have to model things the hard way if you want the best results.  Model the tiles.  It is not too difficult.  Kind of fun too.  To do that, I would recommend that you use a Tile Object with a simple .gdl script added for rotations.  They can be placed/multiplied along curve, placed perpendicular to a surface along a morph line, all sorts of clever way to do it.  And in the end you will be very pleased with yourself.  🙂    

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Solution

There's no need to do any GDL scripting to achieve this.

Just create a small roof segment with that 5% pitch and apply the accessory to it. and then convert the whole thing into a Morph object.
(you might have to Boolean Union them to make them one combined single object).
And then in 3D rotate it to line up to one side of the curve with the plane of the wall as the rotation axis, and then rotate and multiply to complete the process with the radius and center-point as that curved wall you've already modeled.

it might be fun to try this out with PARAM-O too.  

The Conoid 25 object already has the rotation scripts in it.   

2021-11-10_17-07-33.png

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Eduardo Viana
Contributor

Thanks for all the help. I managed to do that with the morph convertion and multiple rotation.

Param-O is still above my Archicad knowledge 😅

Barry Kelly

Interesting problem.

Many versions ago we used to have a curved/domed roof option.

But that disappeared with the implementation of the shell tool.

Which can mimic a curved roof, but of course is not a roof, so you can't apply accessories.

The curves and domes were really just many flat segments at different pitches.

The more segments, the curvier they looked.

I am not so sure they would work particularly well with the accessories either.

Another thing you could try is creating a mesh to represent the curve of the roof.

And then use the Mesh to Roof add-on (goodie) to convert to roof planes.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11