Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

SEO/ Solid Element Operation_terrain

Anonymous
Not applicable
All,

Any ideas how to avoid this when excavating with SEO ?

I am being left with a wafer thin foli of earth in a few places after the operation is completed.
I have used SEO rather than cut away (-) in the mesh tool, because the minus cut away in th mesh tool gives a gaping big hole after the area is delated which looks even worse and messes up the section.

Hense SEO as the better method. However, need to get rid of these paper thin areas.
7 REPLIES 7
runxel
Legend
Better modelling?
No offense, but things like this normally tend to have a rather sloppy modelling as the main factor.
(Like too much confidence in the blue help lines etc.)

IF you say, well I indeed modeled everything right, then I would suggest to make another dummy slab at the base to use for SEO. But beware, then you have another element you need to take care of.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Anonymous
Not applicable
It’s a model I received - I’m am in the process of controlling it - thought the same - why the fine slithers of terrain?

Looks like two elements side by side were not touching when the SEO was done and this is what remained in between the 2 elements - sloppy yes. I am first trying to identify why it happened.

(Like too much confidence in the blue help lines etc.) - Not sure what you mean by this?
jl_lt
Ace
It happens to me from time to time specially when there are curved or non orthogonal elements involved. It happens even when the SEO elements seem to be exactly modeled. What i normally do is overlap the cutting element somewhere between .0001 and .001 and it normally fixes it, but i hate to do that because then I KNOW i didnt model correctly.

This would a good wish, the ability to have some kind of tolerance for SEO without modifying the element, so to avoid this kind of artifacts

Mr. Runxel, im also intrigued about your comment on the blue lines. Do you mean the objects reference lines or the dotted helper lines? In any case, is there any reason to not trust them?
runxel
Legend
Yes, with curved elements this might happen from time to time. Sometimes redrawing the element helps, sometimes moving it forth and back.

Regarding the blue dotted snap guides (thats what they are called):
Not only do they make everything quite slow - at least in my experience - they will also lead to sloppy modelling.
Let's say there is an element that is slightly out of an right angle (can even be one edge of the property). Everything you will draw afterwards is prone to be referenced to that edge by the snap guide. Great! Now every of your walls are also not straight.
So, the key is to always have them disabled and only enable them in very specific environments and check the result.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
jl_lt
Ace
ahh i get what you mean, you are right, they tend to get messy. This happens too with guidelines but in the opposite way: sometimes i might want to fix an odd angle relative to a guideline but if i copy the guideline near the object i want to fix, instead of mantaining the correct angle, the guideline snaps to the object i was trying to fix, adapting to the new angle and rendering it unusable (and undo doesnt work on it).

And yet, modeling in Archicad is still much more precise than revit
Anonymous
Not applicable
could you send me a screenshot please ? still not sure about these ""blue guidlines..""
thanks
runxel
Legend
atfonit wrote:
could you send me a screenshot please ? still not sure about these ""blue guidlines..""
thanks
See also this thread in the german forum.