Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

SEO and complex roofs

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am fairly new with Archicad and as it so often happens I come with some knowledge of other 3D programs (Architectural Desktop and Revit).

For my second project using Archicad I have been modeling a barn-looking roof for a building reno. Initially I just modeled the shape of the roof; after site visits I had to redo the roof to add more details, dormers, the attic spaces inside of the roof. Then again so it would sit properly on the site measured existing walls… and now I find that I’m stumped when it comes to creating the components making up this roof!! I do not even know how I would go about drawing them separately so they fit perfectly together.

So I though well I’ll copy the roof for as many layers I need, put them in different layers, change the thickness of the complex roof and use SEO to subtract the shapes from each other. MAAAAAHHHHHH! If only I knew why SEO refuses to cut part of my roof???

Anyone, anyone? Any ideas of what am I doing wrong or how to accomplish this??

See images green would be insulation, red original roof…

PreSEOnPostSEO.JPG
4 REPLIES 4
Hi an wlecome to the group.

Housekeeping item #1 - please create a signature with basic information about your system and platform. Lots of examples can be found by browsing other posts.

Ok.

Are you using SEO to punch holes in this roof? or to extrude the geometry of it?

The Auto Roof tool should give you the roof segments you require. Just delete the hip ends once its created and then use the marquis tool to stretch the pieces to form a gable end.

The dormer roofs can find the intersection with the main roof by control-clicking.

Roof intersections between the planes of the gambrel roof can likewise be cleaned up by control clicking along their edges. You can verify that it has the right mitre by sectioning the whole roof.

Isn't this in the manual these days?
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Thomas Holm
Booster
Aaron wrote:
Isn't this in the manual these days?
it is. But for a roof with such a complex profile, while still straight and level, I think I'd model it with a complex profile wall instead. That would also making the dormer openings easier. (place window - > empty opening). Much easier to change too.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Testing my signature...

Manuals??? Just kidding, the one that comes with the software is pretty basic and step by step, although good, is a little "project oriented"... and overall they do not take into account renos and demolition. Is all new construction where the sky is the limit.

I will try your suggestions. For now i got thrown into another project :S
i think the reason why I cannot learn Archicad well enough is because I jump from project to project and from software to software!!

Oh and I have never used the complex wall profiler, is it like Architectural desktops wall components??
Thomas Holm
Booster
maycrita wrote:
Manuals??? Just kidding, the one that comes with the software is pretty basic
Perhaps. But the Help files are usually good.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1