Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

STAIR GRAPHIC DISPLAY ISSUES - When bottom of stair is below story elevation

Jeff Galbraith
Advocate
A typical stair extends from story to story. But, on occasion a stair may extend below a story, such as when exterior grading slopes on a site. If I create a stair from story to story the graphics look correct. ie: everything above the cut line I can set as dashed, and everything below the cut line is visible in solid lines.

Here's the problem: If I extend a stair down to 1 foot (or even 1 inch) below the home story so it reaches a depressed area of the plan, then everything below the cut line becomes invisible in plan view. Everything above the cut line is still visible as dashed.

Has anyone encountered this? And found a fix?

I appreciate the help.
Jeff G

Archicad 27 USA (full), Macbook Pro (16-inch 2023, M3 MAX, 128 GB RAM)
5 REPLIES 5
Jeff Galbraith
Advocate
I just tested the same thing on versions 23 and 24 and they work fine. Looks like a bug in version 22
Jeff G

Jeff Galbraith
Advocate
The plot thickens. I migrated the project to version 23 and it still has the visibility problem with the stair. It appears to be related to something in the project. If I copy the same stair to a fresh file the graphics look fine. But in this file it has issues.

Any idea what could be the cause of this?
Jeff G

Lingwisyer
Guru
I remember this happening. When the base of the stair was below it's homestory, the floor plan representation would change to the same as if it's homestory was actually the story below... I think I fixed it by changing the stair so that it actually spanned the 3 floors, changing the middle floor plan representation to solid, then I think it was changed back to it's original stories.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi all,

Thank you for sharing your opinion about the issue!

I made a simple stair, based on what I understand in this case:

As you can see, the stair is linked to the ground floor and the 1. story. It extends 300mm below the ground floor. The cut plane is at 1 meter. But the display is wrong. This is because the Floor Plan Display for "Relevant Top Story" is set for showing "No Break Mark: Visible".

I believe something similar might happened with your file. Could you give it a check and let me know about the result?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Jeff Galbraith
Advocate
I believe you are correct. When the bottom of the stair is set below the ground floor it changes the bottom story to the floor below which then modifies the graphical output in plan view. A bit strange, but modifying the graphical visibility settings solves the issue.

Thanks!
Jeff G