Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.
SOLVED!

Save object as object?

tjmillar
Enthusiast

I want to create some wet area objects with additional hotspots for use on a slab penetration plan. I don't want to modify the standard Archicad library objects so I will to create a folder of renamed copies of the objects that I can then modify and add to an office library. 

My concern is that I understand there are problems with saving objects as objects, and I don't want to create conflicts between my modified objects and the standard library parts. So a two-part question: why is it a problem to save an object as an object, and how should I save copies that I can modify without causing conflicts?

AC26 Australia, Windows 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly

There is no problem saving an object as another object (select in plan and 'save as' library part > object) - if that is what you mean.

This will simply create a script that CALLs the original object.

You can then set new parameter defaults, but you can't amend the script of the original object without affecting all other original objects - I hope that makes sense.

If you want to keep the original GS object as it is, then open the script for it and 'Save As' with a new name in you office library.

This will give the new object a new GSID and will not interfere with the original GS object.

You can now amend the script and set default parameter values as you wish in the new object.

You will now have two completely separate (although similar) objects.

You will need to be a little careful with any CALLed macros, as it will CALL the macros from the GS library.

Fine if you don't need to amend those at all.

If you do, open them and 'Save As' with a new name in your office library as well and then amend the CALL commands in the object to CALL the new macro name.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Solution
Barry Kelly

There is no problem saving an object as another object (select in plan and 'save as' library part > object) - if that is what you mean.

This will simply create a script that CALLs the original object.

You can then set new parameter defaults, but you can't amend the script of the original object without affecting all other original objects - I hope that makes sense.

If you want to keep the original GS object as it is, then open the script for it and 'Save As' with a new name in you office library.

This will give the new object a new GSID and will not interfere with the original GS object.

You can now amend the script and set default parameter values as you wish in the new object.

You will now have two completely separate (although similar) objects.

You will need to be a little careful with any CALLed macros, as it will CALL the macros from the GS library.

Fine if you don't need to amend those at all.

If you do, open them and 'Save As' with a new name in your office library as well and then amend the CALL commands in the object to CALL the new macro name.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
tjmillar
Enthusiast

Thank you Barry, much appreciated!

Jan Vlach
Advocate

You can also go to location where your copy of Archicad is located, you will find there a folder named something like Archicad 25 library. This folder contains your standard Archicad library parts. You can simply copy this folder (to keep as backup) or the content you are interested in to another location. Here you can select the objects, rename them and then load into your project. This is handy if you plan on altering large numer of objects and dont feel like going trough opeoning and saving each of them idividually.

From Archicad 8.5 all the way to the present.
Passionate Autocad hater as well.
Wish to save palets and menus individualy in work enviroments:
https://bit.ly/3pg3Bx7

Just be careful.

Re-naming an object file does not alter the GSID that the program uses to recognise the file.

If the GSID is not altered, you can not have then original and new objects loaded at the same time as they will be treated as duplicates.

Only opening the file and 'Save As' will change the GSID  - or there is the LP_XMLConverter to work with many objects at once - this might be able to manipulate the GSID as well.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

This is the issue I have seen previously in old office libraries. I knew it was related to saving copies of objects but didn't know why that caused a problem and was therefore wasn't sure how to avoid it happening with this new project for the new library. Very helpful!

Thanks, wasnt aware of that.

From Archicad 8.5 all the way to the present.
Passionate Autocad hater as well.
Wish to save palets and menus individualy in work enviroments:
https://bit.ly/3pg3Bx7