Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Scale Retention In Cloned Folders

Some investigation...

As I understand cloned folders, the idea is to have a complete, dynamic view set folder containing, for example, all the Section/Elevations, so as you create new windows you don't have to manually create views.

I should be able to clone the SE folder at scale 1:48 to output building sections. I should be able to clone the SE folder again at 1:24 to output interior elevations. These folders should be identical except for the scale. I use the ID of the SE element to distinguish between the two types.

I tried this in my template project, which has several placed SE elements of different scales. I found that regardless of the scale set in the clone, the existing windows retain the scale they had when the clone was created. I can open a given window from with either clone and the scale is the same. Disappointment.

Newly placed windows take the scale properly from the clone.

I decided to go ahead and replace the SE elements in the template in the name of progress. I didn't want to delete them wholesale because they contain some template elements of their own. After some experimentation I discovered that I could delete the SE element, then undo, and the window would be treated as new with respect to the clones, with the scale correct.

I'd say the clone routine needs some patching, but at least it can be worked around.
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
1 REPLY 1
Djordje
Ace
jamesm wrote:
As I understand cloned folders, the idea is to have a complete, dynamic view set folder containing, for example, all the Section/Elevations, so as you create new windows you don't have to manually create views.
Quite so; BUT, if you want something different, you have to redefine ...
I should be able to clone the SE folder at scale 1:48 to output building sections. I should be able to clone the SE folder again at 1:24 to output interior elevations. These folders should be identical except for the scale. I use the ID of the SE element to distinguish between the two types.
Just open the view that you want at a different scale, change the scale, redefine (with appropriate view renaming or other way of referencing the view)
Newly placed windows take the scale properly from the clone.
That is because they are CLONES - identical to the original.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen