Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Section cutting plane normal to a road path

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have to build a road on sloped terrain, along the path thickness and width both varies, the best way to document those changes would be to make a series of cross sections of the road, the thing is that section marker seems to cut the road only vertically and i don't get the real thickness of all the components on it. I surely miss something as Archicad can show the model in real time with multiple angled cutting sections activated.

Thanks in advance
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
I did some tests, and it seems that you have used the roof with vertical edge, right?
Then if you select the roof top and bottom nodes in the 3d doc, it will give you the vertical dimension.
On the other hand, if you select the roof top and bottom edges, it will give you the correct one.
Can you confirm this?

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Barry Kelly
Yes section are vertical only.
However rotate the model in the 3D window as you require and apply your cutting planes.
You can now save as a 3D Document (right mouse click).
This can be annotated just like any other 2D view.
Dimensioning will be accurate, even for something not perpendicular to the cutting plane.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
First of all thanks for your reply.

So yes I understood what you explained to me earlier, and I wanted to go a bit further: [list=]
  • I set a cut plan parallel to the face where I wanted a Section Cut,
  • [list=]
  • then I switched the view to AXIONOMETRIC view
  • [list=]
  • and then I aligned the view with one of the extra 3D navigation tool: look perpendicularly to the picked surface,
  • [list=]
  • Then as you indicated I create my new 3D doc from the view.
  • Now the strange thing is that with this view setting i my case, I created the slope road with the roof tool to have a multi layered compounds material, when I add dimension to the 3D doc generated view, dimensions does not return the actual thickness of the various materials layers but instead the distances that are defined by the intersections of the horizontal cut plane with each material outline and not with my custom angle cut plane, thus generally returning me values greater than their real thickness.
    To solve this I tried to convert the roof to a FORM, and in fact in this case dimensions are returning the right thickness value, but I loose the "editability" of the model, and the visualization setting linked to this BIM object that is much prettier.
    I hope that what i wrote is understandable enough and you have some more handy tips for this
    Hmooslechner
    Rockstar
    This Thing can make it for You: https://bimcomponents.com/GSM/Details/24075
    AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia
    Anonymous
    Not applicable
    Hi fab,
    fab wrote:
    i don't get the real thickness of all the components on it.
    The vertical section is already displaying the real thickness to the components. It is geometrically correct.

But if you just want to give a more practical information for the construction site. Like the thickness of the first asphalt layer will be, lets say, 10cm, then why don't you just edit the dimension with a custom text?
    I mean: Is the difference between the "real" and "distorted" thickness relevant?
    Anonymous
    Not applicable
    Yes it is also a good workaround, I could also draw a perfectly horizontal road with all the different widths and assign the same compound materials as the inclined one and then extract the sections from them instead of the real one, this way I just need to change the materials and had both update at the same time, I think it should work also, but this way we don0t follow the BIM paradigm, extract the document from on central model to keep consistency across documentation. I know I know at the end of the day you have to get the job done, and from time to time I use simple 2D drawing to get there, but you know exploring a newer BIM solution for the next occurrence is a good practice and the forum is the right place for that may be someone has already solve it and if not we could find an alternative.
    Barry Kelly
    fab wrote:
    Now the strange thing is that with this view setting i my case, I created the slope road with the roof tool to have a multi layered compounds material, when I add dimension to the 3D doc generated view, dimensions does not return the actual thickness of the various materials layers but instead the distances that are defined by the intersections of the horizontal cut plane with each material outline and not with my custom angle cut plane, thus generally returning me values greater than their real thickness.

We will need to see some images of what you are trying to do.
    If the cut plane is perpendicular to the roof slope, you should get the true thickness and it should dimension accurately.

Barry.
    One of the forum moderators.
    Versions 6.5 to 27
    Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
    Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
    Anonymous
    Not applicable
    Ok I shared some picture:
    00 to show the cut plane (45°)
    01 a first 3D document with some annotations to explain what is what with right quote for both objects
    02 another 3D doc with a different angle with right quote for both objects
    03 the 3D document set with an angle normal to the cut-plane with the wrong quote on the roof element
    04 in the next reply post there are the dimensions on various thickness extract from different cut planes
    Anonymous
    Not applicable
    the last photo attached
    Anonymous
    Not applicable
    Did you check it the wrong dimension text is set to "Custom Value"?