BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Select Layer and make it current

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

Is it possible to select a layer from any view, and make it current immediately?

Thanks in advance
Sergio
7 REPLIES 7
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
There is no such concept as "current layer" in Archicad. I am guessing this is an Autocad concept?
Each individual Tool has a Layer setting (with the exception of the Camera Tool). Each element instance created with that Tool will go to the Layer specified for that Tool in its Settings Dialog or the Info Box.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
LaszloNagy wrote:
There is no such concept as "current layer" in Archicad. I am guessing this is an Autocad concept?
Each individual Tool has a Layer setting (with the exception of the Camera Tool). Each element instance created with that Tool will go to the Layer specified for that Tool in its Settings Dialog or the Info Box.

Thanks Laszlo,

I am new to Archicad and what I meant is that when I try to make a line or a polyline, there is always a layer "pre-selected" and sometimes this layer is off, so I have to open the layer box, select the layer I want to draw in and so on. I was thinking there might be the possibility that you can select an object, pick up the layer it was created on and make a line with that specific layer.

And of course you are totally right... I was working with autocAD for more than 25 years, and now i am making the change. A little too late, probably.

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Sergio
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If you want to create a Line on the same Layer as another Line already created, the best way is to pick up its parameters using ALT-click. Then the settings and parameters of the clicked element will become the default settings for that element type (in this case, the Line Tool), and all consequently created Line elements will be placed on that Layer.

However, it is not possible to pick up the Layer settings of a Wall, for example, and transfer that to the Layer setting of a Line tool.

And, I think it is never too late to make such "evolutionary" steps in software usage.
runxel
Legend
Normally you would never want something like that in the world of BIM. It's a very atypical way to work.
As Laszlo mentioned: Use the eyedropper and make it your best friend!

There is, however, exactly the setting you want:
It's in a palette and it's called "Active Layer".
But beware! Don't forget to set it back, otherwise you will have headaches later 😉

(Sorry for german screenshot)
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you both, I may have not provide all information.

I am making detail plans and it is easier to make some 2D hatches on the sections rather than to build them in 3D due to time consumption.

That's the reason I have to isolate a layer every once in a while, to work with it.

The problem is that I try to make a polyline and the layer it attempts to draw, is off, and that is the reason I would like to select an element from this layer to make the current one so I can make whatever 2D element on this isolated layer to save time.

I thought it would have been pretty much straight forward what I was thinking but apparently I am not learning the good way and there is not much experienced people in the office I am working for.

To resume. I want to be able to make 2D elements on the layer I have chosen before I do the 2D element, not after.

Thaks in advance guys.

Und vielen lieben Dank Runxel, ich arbeite auch in eine Deutsch Archicad version

LG
Sergio
Barry Kelly
Svorgodne wrote:
To resume. I want to be able to make 2D elements on the layer I have chosen before I do the 2D element, not after.

Isn't the solution that runxel suggested what you want?

If not then select the tool you want to use, set the layer to what you want and it will be the default layer for that tool until you change it.

In both cases if the layer is currently turned off, you will have to turn it on.
But that is just one click when the warning message crops up to tell you the layer is turned off.
Then the layer will stay on until you turn it off again.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Svorgodne wrote:
I am making detailed plans and it is easier to make some 2D hatches on the sections rather than to build them in 3D due to time consumption.
I don't think that is a problem at all. On the contrary, you will see that for architectural purposes, it is best to model only to a certain level of detail. In the office I work, this is usually M 1:50, which means that we do not really model finer details than that because having an overly detailed model can have serious performance consequences, and may also take too much time to do.
So it is a completely correct workflow that you model your elements to a desired level of detail, then add 2D information as needed. Or create your architectural details in 2D, for example (using the model as a reference of course). To get the most advantage out of BIM, you need to find that balance between 2D and 3D, because 3D gives you automatically generated correct sections and details, so that is something you guys need to work out in your office (maybe you already have).
Learn and get certified!