BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Select all (ctrl+A) and Edit Selection sets omits doors and windows...!?

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor

Hi,

I've created a property available for all element types and in 3D I select everything with CRTL+A and then use Edit Selection Set to give all the elements a value for the property. However in the Edit Selection Set window doors and windows are not selected... I need to add them manually...why is it so? Never thought about if before...

/MatsSelect all Edit selection set not working.png

AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
5 REPLIES 5

Guess there is some "AC explanation" to it - perhaps they don't think selecting the window/door tool and ctrl A is extra steps. But praise to inconsistencies! A find and select for all types will select everything.

Haha yes praise the almighty. I don't buy that windows and doors are inside the wall and that I can add them... Ctrl+A for the AC users means in this case Select Almost All. Consistency would be too easy.

AC 25 SWE Full

Barry Kelly

I know what is happening, but I don't know exactly why doors and windows can't select as well.

My theory is ...

Doors and windows belong to the wall, they can't exist in their own right.

So they aren't an independent entity, even though you can select them on their own.

If you select a wall, and show it in 3D, it will also show the doors and windows without you actually selected the doors and windows.

Delete the wall and all associated doors and windows will delete as well.

Back in the day when the Edit Selection Set was programmed, we didn't have properties to add to elements.

So I assume the 'powers that be' decided that selecting the wall is enough.

Delete or move the wall and doors and windows delete or move as well.

Edit selection set originally just used allow us to change the layer and pen colour, the only common attributes of all elements.

All good except for your case when you want to edit a property.

The actual doors and windows are physically not selected so you can't amend them.

I don't think there would be any harm if 'selecting all' actually selected the doors and windows as well.

So now we have properties, this probably need to be re-evaluated.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

From a user perspective this is unexpected behaviour and adds to the pile of work arounds that I have no problems with myself but my herd of colleagues have and its for them consistency is king. Archicad logic is more and more IF....THEN...BUT....MAYBE...AHA...NO **beep**....RETURN

And SINCE WE'RE RAPIDLY INCREASING THE AMOUNT OF DATA IN OUR MODELS PROPERTIES ARE SUPER DUPER IMPORTANT!

AC 25 SWE Full

DGSketcher
Legend

There is a broken logic at play here. Ctrl-A is ignoring the doors & windows and not listing them in the Selection Set. If however you go through Find & Select applying the single criteria of "3D Types" then everything is selected AND listed in the Selection Set. Workaround? Possibly, but clearly Ctrl-A needs an upgrade.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Learn and get certified!