BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Selection of hidden elements

stevini
Booster

Hello there!

I have a little issue. When I select an element in the plan and in the elevation it selects even hidden element behind the element I need to select. For example, on plan, clicking on the slab it selects the beam underneath. And same issue in the section. 

How can I avoid selecting hidden elements? And therefore, how can I select only the visible elements?

3 REPLIES 3
DGSketcher
Legend

I think this is or should be on the Wishlist as it has been requested a few times. It doesn't just happen with hidden elements, it can occur with section/elevation depth lines and overhead elements that are partially hidden by the Floor Plan Cut Plane settings e.g. Roofs & Shells. Sorry, not much help but you aren't alone in your frustration.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

You can also tab to move the cursor to the next item if Archicad doesn't highlight what you want.  

When you select by clicking (as opposed to defining a selection area), there are 2 ways to select.

Clicking on an edge/node of an element or clicking on the surface.

To click on a surface you must have the 'quick selection' magnet active, either turn it on in the selection tool settings or use the SPACEBAR key to toggle it on/off.

Either way, if there is only one element available to select it will simply select it.

If there are multiple overlapping elements then you can press the TAB key to cycle through the available elements.

Holding the SHIFT key while selecting (which simply means add to selection), will instantly highlight the element you are about to select.

If it is not the correct one, try the TAB key.

Note, element like slabs and roofs only have a surface in plan when you turn their cover fills on.

You can also activate any tool when selecting and hold the SHIFT key (add to selection), and it will favour that particular type of element first.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!