BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Separate morphs into solid parts

PVBergkrantz
Expert
Hello, I have been able to download a 3d dwg/sketchup file with houses of a city, modelled as blocks and placed on the correct height etc. I've tried to Merge the sketchup file, and then convert to morphs, which gives me all the houses in 3d in a nice way but they are all one big morph, rather than many individual ones.

Is there a way to "explode" the morph into components, each building is a solid morph. I've tried to take two morphs and boolean unio them, and this locks them together in the same way as the sketchup file is, even if they are not touching, so I am basically looking for an anti-union command.

I am aware of the split tool to separate morphs, but since its hundreds of houses it is not feasible.

My end goal is to be able to remove some houses, move the position of some which are badly located, make basic changes to a few of them, but when they are all grouped it is very difficult. Maybe there is a way to control from within Sketchup or Autocad how objects are grouped when they are imported into ArchiCAD?
| AC 25 Int | Win10 | i7-7800X | 32 GB | GeForce RTX 2060 6GB |

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Hello PVBergkrantz,

Did you try to use this tool ?
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Solution
Hello PVBergkrantz,

Did you try to use this tool ?
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
DGSketcher
Legend
Depending on the extent of changes you could create a duplicate and use area selection to pick out what you want to save or delete and use layers to filter what you need to work on. Copy (or even Cut) & paste is a good way to pick out the bits for editing and separate them from the rest of the morph.

This may help if you aren't familiar with the selection options... https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/88720/
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Lingwisyer
Guru
Having nothing selected will allow you to change your Selection Method as Chris as pointed out. You will then be able to marquee any part of the morph that you want to select and modify. Probably easiest to do in 2D in your situation for removing and moving. When it comes to making changes, isolate the piece using the marquee in 2D then make your changes in 3D.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
PVBergkrantz
Expert
DGSketcher wrote:
Copy (or even Cut) & paste is a good way to pick out the bits for editing and separate them from the rest of the morph.
The white arrow (direct select?) works pretty well for what I want. I can then more easily at least remove or move some buildings.

I was not able to get cut & paste to work, if I selected just a few parts, cut them and paste it pastes the entire full city again (although it did cut the selected one out of the original). If I want to separate every building in its own piece I guess the easiest way would be to make a copy, delete everything except that building, and repeat.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
| AC 25 Int | Win10 | i7-7800X | 32 GB | GeForce RTX 2060 6GB |

It can help. But I import a model to AC. It have a lot of seperate part in one morph object. and select by hand is so time consuming.

AC 26 5002 CHI, Windows 10
Learn and get certified!