Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Set Polygon as Drawing frame? Yes in PM9, no in AC10?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just wondering,

Did GS forget to put this lovely command from PM 9 into AC10? I can't find it anywhere...

(This is the one where in layouts, you draw a polygon and apply that shape to be the frame of the drawing.)

-Nathan
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
Wow. I had never noticed that command in 9 before Nathan ... what a huge time saver over adjusting nodes and edges of the drawing frame manually.

I searched through the list of 'all commands' and don't see anything similar in 10 ... maybe it has a new name? (Online help for 10 is notably minimal and un-illustrated in this arena compared to 9 and earlier.)

Thanks for the tip ... hope it is in 10 but just hidden somewhere...

Karl

PS In case anybody else was like me and hadn't seen this command before (or forgot it), you draw a polygon with the fill tool in PM 9, change the frame type of the desired drawing to 'polygon' and select both the polygonal fill and the drawing. At that point, the 'Set Polygon as Drawing Frame' command in the Edit menu is available.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Rakela Raul
Participant
thanku to both of you
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Anonymous
Not applicable
It seems in AC10 you don't need to change to Polygon, you can just edit the drawing boundary the same way you do for a slab, fill etc. Click an edge, add nodes, stretch sides....
__archiben
Booster
s2art wrote:
Click an edge, add nodes, stretch sides....
yes - but you can no longer just draw your drawing polygon and tell archicad to use it as the boundary.

i just tried some experimenting with polylines and space-clicking a selected drawing:

- you can quickly make a drawing fill a polygonal shape using the space-click method as long as your polygon is bigger than the drawing.

- if you want to reduce your drawing to a smaller polygon shape you end up with a hole in the drawing rather than a the 'hole' becoming the drawing. it's standard polygon editing behaviour however an oversight with regard to that legacy function.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup