BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Shaded sides in 3D cut plane

Anonymous
Not applicable
After seeing this cool video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CaZQUywIxY, I wanted to check out the intersection of my walls and slabs in 3D as well. But when I use a 3D Cut Plane, all I get are shaded cut surfaces. How can I make the actual cut surfaces appear? And how is it that in the video everything looks so realistic?

Also, in the section view, how can you make the object surfaces and the cut fills appear together? I only manage black and white fills, or colored surfaces, I want something like the one in the attachment. Thanks!!
3 REPLIES 3
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This is a marketing video, not actual ArchiCAD footage.
You can see that it is fully rendered, and as far as I know from the Marketing guys, it was achieved in Cinema 4D.
Its purpose is to nicely illustrate the functionality.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
In 3D, you should check Cut Surface Display settings. Go to: View > Elements in 3D View > Filter and Cut Elements in 3D.
You'll see Cut Surface Display, and make sure "Use Element Attributes" is used - this will display the Building Material's Surfaces instead of a unified Surface.
For Sections/Elevations, check their Settings under "Model Display" and see what setting you have for "Cut Display" > Fill Cut Surface with:

To change the appearance of any Cut Surface (fill/pens/surface) then you can select an element and open the Building Materials settings to review their appearances (because of the selection they will be highlighted in the list).

Hope that helps.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the help. It turns out that vectorial hatch can only be displayed on uncut surfaces in section views (and elevation). I guess I just have to settle for the plain colored surface .
Learn and get certified!