Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Shadow of the sun in elevation

johanes
Contributor

I have two constructions: one existing and other proposed. We set the North (Options -> Project Preferences -> Set Project North) and I considered the Sun position on 21.12.2022, the Eastern time (07:53). By opening a 3D layout window of the 2 constructions, looking at the Southeast Directorate, we can see the shadow of the proposed construction left on the southern facade of the existing construction. Now if I position a facade (elevation), oblique and looking on constructions all from the southeast, we can see the same shadow left on the southern facade of the existing construction. I now place a facade (elevation) that "looks" perpendicular to the southern facade of the existing construction. When viewing the southern facade of the construction - surprise - no shadow appears on the facade. I tried all the variants of the elevation settings and I was unable to make the shadow on the facade. The sun exists, the proposed construction exists and the shadow of the construction proposed on the facade of the existing construction should also appear.
Can anyone tell me where the "secret" is? Or Archicad can't display the shadow of an object on another object if the latter is "looked" from a certain direction?
Please forgive my English ... Thanks !

3D.JPGS-E elevation.JPGSouth elevation.JPG

plan.JPG
13 REPLIES 13

I understand what you mean ... That is, to move the elevation tool in the back, on the opposite side of the proposed construction and then to "hide" the proposed construction. I tried ... It does not work ...

I don't understand well what you want to say, but I tried to create a 3D document, with shadows turned on, with perpendicular view on the sunny facade of the proposed building. Only part of the shadow is seen, the other side being hidden by the building. From side view the shadow is not seen on the facade that interests me (southern facades of existing construction).

Archicad only calculates what you see on screen when calculating shadows.

Otherwise it would be much slower than it is now.

Not much point in calculating what you can't see - except in this case.

I remember reading something about casting shadows like this.

I will search to see if I can find anything.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

This is the post I was thinking of...

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Wishes-forum/shadows-on-adjoining-properties-elevation/m-p/77524...

Make sure when you copy, you have the 2D window as Vectorial and not OpenGL/Harware Acceleration.

Only works for Vectorial.

It is a manual solution and you will have to repeat if the shadow changes for any reason.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11