Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.
SOLVED!

Shared international, distributor, & contributor libraries

PB
Advocate
Given the extent and variety of very useful library parts provided either by language version or by local distributors, and also the not-inconsequential number of architects / firms working internationally, would it not be great to have a Graphisoft repository for all such library parts available to all ArchiCAD users in one easily accessible, curated location as part of the Graphisoft website?
AC27 Apple Silicon. Twinmotion.
16" M1 Max MacBook Pro 32GB, Apple Studio Display, MacOS14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Podolsky
Ace
This web site does exist. It called BIM components: https://bimcomponents.com
This website even has direct connection to ArchiCAD - so when you search an object - it searches in the local library and on this web-site. And automatically downloads it - if you choose it.

Unfortunately not everyone is uploading their objects and libraries there. People somehow prefer to keep objects on their web-sites instead.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Solution
Podolsky
Ace
This web site does exist. It called BIM components: https://bimcomponents.com
This website even has direct connection to ArchiCAD - so when you search an object - it searches in the local library and on this web-site. And automatically downloads it - if you choose it.

Unfortunately not everyone is uploading their objects and libraries there. People somehow prefer to keep objects on their web-sites instead.
PB
Advocate
BIM components is a good & useful resource. However, just as an example, it does not contain - as far as I can tell - even all the local variations of the standard ArchiCAD libraries. For example, region-specific items available to french AC users do not show up in BIM components, the same for Spanish content...unless there's a setting or control that I'm unaware of....
Furthermore, certain country distributors develop supporting add-ons: Great for their subscribers, but why does Graphisoft not find an arrangement to make the best of these available to all users?
AC27 Apple Silicon. Twinmotion.
16" M1 Max MacBook Pro 32GB, Apple Studio Display, MacOS14
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
We have an extended library for the Dutch market that is developed by our local reseller and available to those that pay for this.

I fully understand why they do not offer their product for free to everyone on bimcomponents.

Perhaps the French and Spanish parts you refer to are available in a similar way.

Edit: I understand better that you mean that GS should try to make these products available to more versions. I assume the problem lies with translation.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
DGSketcher
Legend
I think there is a bit of frustration that some OOTB GDL objects in some countries are rumoured to include elements that could be of Global interest. GS could not only help their customers by making these globally available but also consolidate some of their GDL development time. The only challenge is language translation but I get the impression from the GDL manuals that parameter renaming isn't as difficult as it might have been in the past.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
The whole BIMComponents idea of linking the AC Object library to a GS web database is brilliant. But IMO, the problem relies on the way users deploy and maintain their contents in this database, which is very granular and hard to maintain. One solution for this would be a Dedicated Shared Resource File. If manufacturers had this kind of centralized file which they could easily deploy and update their BIM content within BIMComponents, I am sure more quality content would start to be uploaded. But I agree with @PB, that it would be nice if BIMComponents have various region sections that could be selected by the user within AC Object Dialog (or automatically selected by the localized AC version). So much potential around BIMComponents.

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!