BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Sharing a V.B.Model with a complete design & consultant

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a solution for an approach to working as a team using ArchiCAD to produce an integrated Virtual Model. This will entail using some or all of the following disciplines working as a team:

1. architecture
2. urban planning
3. mechanical engineering
4. structural engineering
5. electrical engineering
6. plumbing engineering
7. cost estimating
8. landscaping architecture
9. interior design
10. facility management

There are several tools available which are compatible with ArchiCAD such as ESRI ARC View (Urban Planning) and Xsteel Tekla (Structural). Our firm is forming a consortium to handle a major project and would be interested in obtaining further information as to whether this is a practical approach and to make contact with firms who are attempting to do this or who already have experience in a similar integrated approach. We need to get detailed information about the software that would be required for this venture.

Can anyone help??
4 REPLIES 4
Eduardo Rolon
Tricky...

Architecture, Interior Design, Urbanism and cost estimating can be done within AC. Linking AC to Arcview could be achieved with IFC if Arcview acepts them or export to that format.
Facilities Management can be done with GS ArchiFM though I don't know if they have upgraded it to work with AC R8.1 libraries.

The Electrical, Mechanical and Structural could,can be modeled within AC and then export them to dwg's for the specific disciplines.

IMO what you are trying to achieve is doable with AC but it will require a lot of coordination, a lot of modeling and a lot of imagination. Basically I model about 90% of the building. In order to achieve what you want you might have to go to 98% or even a 100%.
You might have to evaluate what parts of the design have to be linked together(if something changes it will update on the other files) and which don't have to be. With this in mind you can be able to figure out what software is needed for which step and what procedure you will use to maintain coordination within the team.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Djordje
Ace
Jason wrote:
I am looking for a solution for an approach to working as a team using ArchiCAD to produce an integrated Virtual Model. This will entail using some or all of the following disciplines working as a team:
You would do well to contact the nearest Graphisoft representative or Graphisoft itself; what you need is a comprehensive set of APIs, that mostly exist for all or almost all of the disciplines you mentioned, "only" it is not very much known or is country/design code specific.

For example - for MEP, there is DuctWorks, for landscaping ArchiTerra, structural design APIs or linked software depend very much on the code used (I am waiting for steel BS code design app like AxisVM) and so on.

You will also need extensive help of GDL savvy person(s); in short, a consortium is the right word. And if I were you, I would contact Kimon Onuma.

Good luck, and hope to see your success story in the future issues of Graphisoft News and professional magazines!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for you replies

We have already contacted our graphisoft rep whom we received a reply from a Graphisoft Consultant, Mr Viktor Bullain. He gave us a list of relevant software and add-ons for the various trades but very little else.

I’m currently looking into IFC technology and related software which looks very promising. An Australian firm is currently utilizing the IFC interface with ArchiCAD.

We would still like to make contact with firms or individuals with experience in this integrated approach. Is it possible to get a contact email address for Kimon Onuma.

I appreciate your assistance,
Jason
Anonymous
Not applicable
http://onuma.com/

There is a link to contact from here.
Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions