Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Shift-click doesn't work for selection any more?

R Muller
Enthusiast
I haven't used ArchiCAD in a while. Is it true that shift-click no longer works to select an object when some tool other than the arrow tool is selected? Is this the way its supposed to be (I hope not- shift-click has always been my perferred way of selection) or is there something odd with my system?

I'm using a Mac with 10.2.8. I have a scroll wheel mouse and a track pad on my laptop; neither one will select with a shift-click.
R Muller
AC 26 USA (20+ years on ArchiCAD)
MBP 64GB Apple M1 Max OS 12.1 Monterey
9 REPLIES 9
Dwight
Newcomer
This does seem like odd behavior - this works fine for me.

How high is your gravity set?
Dwight Atkinson
R Muller
Enthusiast
I don't have gravity turned on at all. Can gravity affect selection?

By the way, I am using ArchiCAD 8 v3 USA.
R Muller
Dwight
Newcomer
Depending on the size of your display, you'll want some gravity, otherwise the routine can't link to a node.

I use six pixels of gravity, but I work with extremely high screen resolution - you can probably get by with three pixels.
Dwight Atkinson
David Pacifico
Booster
I think Dwight is refering to the "Curser Snap Range" found in Options/Preferences/Mouse Constraints and Methods.
When I try to set it to zero it changes to 1 and I can still Shift/Click while on any tool. It may be a video card issue (just a guess)
David Pacifico, RA

AC27 iMac i9, 32 gig Ram, 8 gig video Ram
R Muller
Enthusiast
Dwight and David-

My cursor snap range was set to 3. I tried changing it to 1, but it didn't make any difference.

I'm wondering if the problem has something to do with my Kensington scroll wheel mouse. The scroll wheel gives me a zoom, which is OK but sometimes I'd like to be able to just have a scroll. I haven't seen any preference to control this.

When I right-click on something it is selected (and everything else is deselected), and the editing dialog box comes up. This seems as it should be.

When I shift-click, it starts drawing with whatever tool is selected, just like an ordinary click. It seems to be igniring the shift.
R Muller
Thomas Holm
Booster
I use one hundred and ten kilograms of gravity. That is obviously too much.

Thomas
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
R wrote:
My cursor snap range was set to 3. I tried changing it to 1, but it didn't make any difference.
The smaller value you use, the more difficult to select !
R wrote:
The scroll wheel gives me a zoom, which is OK but sometimes I'd like to be able to just have a scroll. I haven't seen any preference to control this.
Press the middle button (the wheel), and keep it pressed : you get a "pan" (autocad term)...
__archiben
Booster
mr/ms muller

which version of archicad are you using?

we had a whole bunch of selection problems a little while back when using teamwork files...

elements newly created or copied and pasted in would sometimes lose their way in the database even though they displayed ok on screen. in other instances, shift-clicking one element would select another in a completely different part of the screen, (or worse - somewhere off screen)!

the only thing that would cure it was a send & receive - i guess that the elements were then written to the database and assigned to a team mate using them. very strange behaviour as i said, but it seems to have been fixed now...

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
R Muller
Enthusiast
I re-started my computer and now shift-click works! I thought maybe it would work if I removed the scroll mouse and restart, and it did, but it also worked after restart with the mouse attached.

Thanks, you guys. I've learned about cursor snap range (which I've never played with before) and how to scroll as will as zoom with my wheel.

Isn't is great to have a discussion group?
R Muller