Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Shift locking polar axis issue

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is anyone else having issues with locking x or y coordinates in 3d when moving items? I notice it more when selecting a node of a slab and aligning it with another building item.
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Slab (and other polygonal elements) have more complex shift constraint behaviors relative to the target and both adjoining nodes. Perhaps this is causing some confusion.

If you want an explicit lock on X or Y you can force this with the option/alt + X or Y (also A and R to constrain radius and angle). Another cool thing about this is that you can constraint to any point you can detect.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Normally I can select an objectt and command+d to drag then select node that I want to align with another object and highlight the selected node over either the x or y "line" and shift lock to hold it on either axis. Now the elevation has been incorporated into this same move feature, it makes the x and y locks more difficult. Sometimes it's due to the angle at which I am looking in 3d. I'll give the alt+x or y a try and see how that goes.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oops. Sorry, I missed the 3D part. The new three axis drag does make the xy constraint a little more complicated but typically the shift constraint and option locks should be restricted to the xy working plane (unless you change it).

I have run into problems with this in the MEP add-on but this seems to be a combination of developer neglect of the add-on and the complications of doing gravity pipe.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Another interesting observation I've had is that when in 3D, select any blank area in space, rather than selecting a node allows easier locks on the x and y axis. This is not helpful when trying to align a side of an object to another object/wall etc.