Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Show walls as outline above cut plane

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have some walls that need to be shown on stories that are above their cut plane (preferably as outline)
The walls have the Floor plan display settings: Shown on all relevant stories; Projected with overhead; Complete element.
Even though the settings in the ''Floor plan cut plane settings'' are set to Show up to 5 stories above, the walls are not visible on other stories.
Are there some settings I can make, so I can make this possible?
Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
No, walls will not show on other stories unless they physically pass through those stories.

You are almost there with the 'Show on relevant stories' but because they do not actually pass into those stories, you will not see them.
Walls unfortunately do not have the same settings as slabs, roofs and shells.
One day we may get consistent setting across all tools.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
Yasmine_VI wrote:
Even though the settings in the ''Floor plan cut plane settings'' are set to Show up to 5 stories above, the walls are not visible on other stories.
Actually, try setting the FPCP in the stories above to 'Show down to' 4 or 5 (or how ever many you need) stories below.

So long as those lower walls are set to 'Relevant Stories' then they should show.
The problem may be that other elements may show as well?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Yasmine_VI wrote:
I have some walls that need to be shown on stories .....
Are there some settings I can make, so I can make this possible?
Thank you.
I don't know your specific need for this but it is not uncommon to save a view/drawing of just the walls you want to see showing as above and place it as an overlay Layout over the floor plan drawing. Transparent background. However, there are some advantages to making a set of wall lines to be used where ever you need them. This is sort of a no-no to some but I do find it useful from time to time for some sort of temporary use. I think learning how to quickly generate a set of wall lines is something most users need to know. ? Perhaps not. In any case, when lines for walls above or below are used, they should probably be lines of the Core, long dashed for above, short dashed for below. Copy the walls you want lines of the core for to some location and before you explode them to get at the lines - display core only. And while you're at it, you may want to make a set of wall fills too. Then use the Linework and Fills Consolidation tool. Keep them on their own layer of course. I think the Layout overlay method is the better way to do this. Lots of different ways to do it.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Barry wrote:
One day we may get consistent setting across all tools.
Barry.
YES! It would end a lot of workarounds.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25