BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Sill mouldings

Anonymous
Not applicable
My Client wants to have this sill molding under the windows.
I did the cornice/eave molding with the profile tool pretty easily, took a bit of time to get it right though. Just wondering if anyone knows of a good source for moldings like this?
I'm strictly a modern, not much fluff kind of guy, so this is new to me.
They (the commissioners) are talking about foam moldings with stucco over.
I don't think this sill molding in the picture is foam though?
Must be wood or even stone right?
I have an aversion to using foam forms with a finish coat (1/8" thick) over, in areas where they could get damaged. I don't really know if my concern is valid though. Does anyone know if a finish coat of plaster over a foam window sill detail like this is strong enough to stand up to say kids climbing on and around it?
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is another picture that my client sent me.
I think he thinks that these are all foam details.
I think they are either wood or stone, but am not sure because I have little or no experience with foam.
Does anyone know for sure? I need to have a very high level of confidence on this question.

Thanks, Jon
Karl Ottenstein
Jonathan wrote:
Just wondering if anyone knows of a good source for moldings like this?
I changed your subject, Jonathan, since this isn't really a library question and you posted it to the "Working in ArchiCAD" forum for feedback on the construction details as well as modeling...

Modeling this sill is a simple returned profile - either done with the Morph tool, or with a custom profile and the beam or wall tool. (If wall tool - be sure that the sill layer is a different intersection priority than the actual wall.)

I've seen these kinds of trim as both foam and pre-cast. I'm with you on avoiding foam at heights / locations where things can be damaged. If you are expected to detail the parts / assembly / detail, then I guess you've got some shopping to do through the spec books and/or working with the anticipated contractor?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Okay, I found a youtube video and apparently these are foam.
The ones they showed are pre meshed and cemented (pre coated and ready to install foam moldings.). I was thinking of doing something that extended out a bit further than these, but that would entail a custom design and special connection detailing. So, I will see if I can find this particular molding on the web and trace it into a profile.
It would be nice if we had some of these profiles. Do we in AC18?
Karl Ottenstein
Jonathan wrote:
No. It's unrealistic to hope for profiles / library parts of all available building components available in each country. It only takes a few moments to take a section view from the manufacturer and trace the profile you need here.

The one new thing in 18 is that PDF's that are vector drawings (vs photo images or scans) can be brought in as linework, making tracing easier. (Previously, one would have to open the PDF in something like Illustrator, save a dwg, then bring that dwg into AC.)
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl,

Thanks for the input. I did just that. Brought the profiles into AC as jpg's, resized to scale and traced with the fill tool. Worked great. (see house below with modings) Will experiment with the pdf thing next time.

Side note:

I found a youtube video that shows how to get site contours from google earth and model it in AC. Going to try this on a new job I just secured which has a conciderable grade change. If it works, it will be a HUGE leap forward in these still lean times. AC has come a long way in the last few updates!!

Thanks again

Karl wrote:
Jonathan wrote:

No. It's unrealistic to hope for profiles / library parts of all available building components available in each country. It only takes a few moments to take a section view from the manufacturer and trace the profile you need here.

The one new thing in 18 is that PDF's that are vector drawings (vs photo images or scans) can be brought in as linework, making tracing easier. (Previously, one would have to open the PDF in something like Illustrator, save a dwg, then bring that dwg into AC.)
Karl Ottenstein
Looks great, Jonathan. Good luck with the project!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl,

Thanks for that and all your help too!

Jonathan

Karl wrote:
Looks great, Jonathan. Good luck with the project!
Learn and get certified!