Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Skylights to show on lower roofs but not on upper ones

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I have a 2 story building, and both the lower and upper roofs have skylights. On some of the plans I am wanting to show the skylights on the lower levels and just have an outline of the skylights on the upper levels.

The only way I know how to show these is by using MVO's, but this changes all the skylights to either be shown, or just show the outline, but I can't seem to think of way to have them display differently.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
B_E_A_T_
Advocate
Skylights are part of Roofs, so their displaying behaviour is (apart from MVOC options) mainly controlled in the settings for each roof.

You can use the display options (Home story only, All relevant stories, Custom, ...) from the different roofs to control the display behaviour of your skylights in more detailled way.

However, this also applies for any View, since it is an element setting...

Combining (parts of) different views in one layout gives you even more options, as you kan use different MVOC settings in different views. Try combining this with Graphic Overrides for more options.
For combining the Drawings/Views on the Layout, just transform the shape of the Drawing, as you would transform a standard 2D Fill (pet palette).
(òÓ,)_\,,/

www.studiov2.be

Archicad 24/25/26
Rhino/Grasshopper
BIMcollab ZOOM

>>> Read my book!<<<
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've tried having the roofs on different levels but Im not going to have certain roofs display with the home storeys / show on relevant stories thing cause I want both roofs to show I just want the skylights to show differently if you get me?
Barry Kelly
In the skylight settings you should be able to tell it not to use the MVO settings.
Then you can set it independently.
But this still may not suit every storey view as I don't think the skylights are storey sensitive.

There is an old legacy option in PREFERENCES that you can turn on but you will also need to convert to single roof planes.
Not sure if that will help at all.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah skylights seem to be a bit archaic. It would be great if you could have them display on certain stores like most other objects. Ive ended up converting the skylight to a morph, and then using the settings to display what story it can be seen on. It seems to work fine. Will just be annoying if the skylight changes size - then needs to be re-morphed. I think its better than just drawing a polyline, as if i drew a polyline for the outline, I would have to draw a polyline for the whole roof outline, which seems a bit stupid.

Thanks anyway

Why is this very needed feature still in legacy in Archicad 25 and only for single plane roofs? What if my project is still in development?  Are there any plans to implement this feature or do we have a place to vote for it? 

It is not a feature that is 'still' in legacy option.

It is a feature that was moved to legacy option back in version 16 when we got multi-plane roofs.

Multi-plane roof display differently to single plane roofs and therefore handle skylights differently.

I don't know if that is good or bad - I don't use a lot of skylights and I only use multi-plane roofs for the most basic of roofs (never when roofs of different levels overlap).

So we can work the 'new' way, and if you can't achieve what we did before, you can convert to single roof planes and switch to legacy mode.

But if you can't do what you want with the 'new' proper settings, then report it to your local Archicad support and see what they say.

Maybe something needs to be changed.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11