BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Slab edge angle and direction

Josh Verran
Expert
I'm attempting to use the slab tool to cut away a site mesh to allow for retaining.
The batter is 30° and starts 1.0m away from the building edge, starting 225mm below floor level.

I've drawn in the slab to be used as the operator, offset by 1.0m, dropped 225mm.
What I am hoping to do is add a 30° angle to certain edges, then as I increase the depth of the operator slab, have the batter cut up and outwards away from the building.

What I am getting is the opposite, when I enter the angle and depth the edges are sloping inwards and downwards.
I have set the reference plane to the bottom, however this only affects the offset to story.

Hope that makes some kind of sense.
Happy to clarify.

GRAPHISOFT CERTIFIED ARCHICAD BIM MANAGER

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

LinkedIn | www.creativespace.co.nz | Tauranga, New Zealand

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)
2 REPLIES 2
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, this is how it works. The edge slope is always measured from the top surface of the Slab, regardless of where the Reference Plane is positioned.
I think this may have historical reasons. There was a time when Slab edges could be sloped, but there was no Reference Plan setting for Slabs. Then Slab Reference Plane feature was added, but I guess this modified behavior of Slab edges was not implemented.

I agree that this would be the most logical. I would expect that the Slab outline that I define is valid in the Reference Plane, and Slab edges and geometries should be generated based on that.
I think this was even wished for at some point on this forum.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Barry Kelly
Look closely at the icon and you can see you are setting that inside angle under the of the slab (and yes it is always to the top surface as Laszlo explained).

90° is vertical.
30° will sloe inwards as you have found.
150° will slope outwards.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!