Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Slabs and floor plan cut plane

Nik
Booster

How do you stop slab elements that are above the floor plan cut plane from appearing on plan views? For example we have window reveals and other elements that are very high up (way above the cut plane), but are still appearing on the plan view despite setting the cut plane and range. Any thoughts?

Cheers, Nik

6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly

Slabs don't react to Floor Plan Cutting Planes.

They don't have the ability to be symbolic, projected or overhead as other elements do.

I do wish there was consistency for all tools (goes the same for show on storeys).

I would add them into a "Slabs - 3D" layer, so you can turn them of in your floor plan layer combination, but leave them on for your section, elevation and 3D layer combinations (when ever you want to see them).

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Thanks Barry, that's what I suspected.

It's very frustrating that you can't simply create a cut plane and see exactly what you would see if the model were cut at this point. We spend so much time playing around with layers, display order, cut/projected/overhead settings, etc just to get the plan to look the way it should. I guess it's the same reason that solid element operations don't show in plan, which also drives us crazy!

Nik

I only use slabs for floors and ceilings.

i use objects or other tools so that i can control them better with the cut plane.

doing so results in less time messing with things for sure. all about reducing keytrokes!

That’s right Nik, using ‘projected/projected with overhead/cut only’ is so 2010. Please make it possible to see exactly what is cut by the cutting plane, like Revit. What you see is what you get.

The way you look at walls, slabs, columns, etc. needs not to be defined by the object but by the view. 

Vanessa1
Participant

agree that this is a super-basic industry-standard capability that is not offered. Slabs used for ceiling/ shadowline or joinery elements having to be assigned layers to control visibility when the visibility graphics is otherwise so advanced is extremely primitive. 

No its not. It is extremely flexible.

There is no "super-basic industry-standard capability" in any CAD/BIM software unless you mean one (i.e. Revit) and if you are honest they only changed the name.

Why is it so hard for new users to get the idea that AC is not Revit?

A per view setting only means that if you make a mistake in 100 views then you need to edit 100 views individually. But noooooo, you may say we can define groups of views and edit them at the same time in Revit but then you are using the equivalent of AC's Layer Sets and Layers just with a different name.

---

Though I do agree about the SEOs rep in plan…

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator