BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Sloped Walls of a Cylinder

Anonymous
Not applicable
Subject: Sloped Walls.............any ideas >?

Hello.

I am trying to use Archicad to produce a model of a lighthouse. The walls are circular and sloped like a cone. Is there a way to modify a cylindrical wall to be "cone" shaped ? I am new to GDL so to modify the script is a little (no, a lot) daunting, but the wall object seems like it would be superior to the primitive object. A picture of preliminary CAD drawing is included. Also the cylinders are separated by stories, so I am guessing the dimensions of the top and bottom diameters need to be pretty accurate so model will be "clean"

Thanks in advance.

Simon Dent
D2G
'
'
This was an answer I got from another Forum's member... Not sure how to implement this advice......

Ans.

"You could use a roof or trim/solid operator a roof from your wall."
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Have Rec'd responses which I am posting here for everyone's use. Thanks again.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Simon,

This question is more for ArchiCAD Talk, which you can access at
www.archicad-talk.graphisoft.com

As David said, use the Wall Accessories (under Extras pull down menu) to
create sloped walls. Select the walls that describe the basic geometry,
start up the AddOn from the Extras menu, set the parameters ...

Date: Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:50 am
Subject: Re: [GDLTalk] Sloped Walls

Wall Accessories API tool..... No GDL required.
Or use one of the "basic shapes" from the library.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Okay, played around with the wall accessories and found that the canted wall is the accessory which seems to match most nearly what i am trying to get. My question is now : When the "canted wall" object is created, it appears no to be a wall, but rather a hybrid wall which does not appear to allow for windows or doors to be placed in it. Also the wall hybrid si tied to the original wall. So while the accessory creates the look I need, it does not have any functionality. Is this the best I'll get ?

Thx.
Karl Ottenstein
Simon wrote:
Okay, played around with the wall accessories and found that the canted wall is the accessory which seems to match most nearly what i am trying to get. My question is now : When the "canted wall" object is created, it appears no to be a wall, but rather a hybrid wall which does not appear to allow for windows or doors to be placed in it. Also the wall hybrid si tied to the original wall. So while the accessory creates the look I need, it does not have any functionality. Is this the best I'll get ?

Thx.
You place windows/doors in the 'host' walls - and the associated wall accesories are automatically updated with holes to make those windows/doors visiable. That is the best you'll get. It lets you model the lighthouses that I grew up with ... where the windows were indeed vertical and inside the wall with a deep reveal on the outside.

Good luck! Post an image as you make progress. 😉

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Aussie John
Newcomer
Another way of doing this.

Create a circular wall with your windows placed in it.

This is where I havent thought about it too closly but using a cone shaped GDL object use Solid Element Operations to remove the parts of the wall you dont want any longer. (if you remove a cone shape from a large block you will get the a shape that you can SEO on the wall to give the sloping external walls.

The good thing about this approach is you windows will remain editable ( I think)
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Learn and get certified!