Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Solid Element Operations and IFC export

Anonymous
Not applicable
I built a square column and beams in Archicad, but have been having a lot of trouble trying to figure out how to use the Solid Element Operations tools. I want to be able to notch the beams and post by subtracting volumes from them etc.

I can get the SEO tools to do this in the 3D window, but when I save as an IFC to work in CadWork (the other program we use here) the notches are not there. It seems like the notches are not truly cut in the 3D beams and post.

I really need a way to permanently notch these posts etc for the export to IFC.

as an aside, I can use the SEO tools on the FrameWright timber beams and columns and the cuts and notches export fine to IFC.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong or if maybe I need to specify posts and beams differently?

I read about layer and intersection priority settings, buit that just confused me even more.

Thank you

Manny Jasus
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
I experienced similar problems when sending an IFC to Cadworks. The SEO's were not working at the destination.

That was in AC 9, I haven't tried to make an IFC in 10 yet. The solution, which I only learned about recently was to save my column & beam SEO'd parts as objects first before converting to IFC. As objects they will have all the notches, etc., and you can send any hidden operators to the trash.

Since you have both cad programs hopefully you'll give us feedback on how this works for you. Also, remember to include your AC version on your signature.
mjasus wrote:
I built a square column and beams in Archicad, but have been having a lot of trouble trying to figure out how to use the Solid Element Operations tools. I want to be able to notch the beams and post by subtracting volumes from them etc.

I can get the SEO tools to do this in the 3D window, but when I save as an IFC to work in CadWork (the other program we use here) the notches are not there. It seems like the notches are not truly cut in the 3D beams and post.

I really need a way to permanently notch these posts etc for the export to IFC.

as an aside, I can use the SEO tools on the FrameWright timber beams and columns and the cuts and notches export fine to IFC.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong or if maybe I need to specify posts and beams differently?

I read about layer and intersection priority settings, buit that just confused me even more.

Thank you

Manny Jasus
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Wally, Manny,

Did you get anywhere with your IFC export to Cadworks? I have heard complaints about insufficient accuracy for Cadworks to go to K2 straight from ArchiCad's geometry, thus requiring to re-do the geometry in Cadworks. Is this true? Just trying to help a client with the IFC to K2 workflow. Ideally, columns, beams, custom profiles, with SEO's will work, as well as framewright and log add-ons and accesory objects. If you have found/developed a succesful workflow, I'd like to hear more about it, as I am writing a post about this on the www.archicad.ca blog...

thanks,

A
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Anonymous
Not applicable
Andyro,

We talked to Cadwork and found it was an accuracy issue when importing into Cadwork. They addressed and fixed the problem in their next update of Cadwork.

Now everything imports into Cadwork correctly and there is no need to re-do the geometry.

DISCLAIMER *** As far as SEO subtractions for notches etc. and importing the notched objects into Cadwork, we had success with using OBJECTiVE objects (in other words, the notches translated correctly to Cadwork) BUT, when using Archicad Columns and Beams, the SEO subtractions did not translate into Cadwork --- in other words, the original beams and columns translated fine, but the notches (SEO relationships) did not. It seems like the Archicad beams and columns arent' as "smart" as the OBJECTiVE pieces.

The irony is, we've switched back to using Archicad columns and beams because we can stretch whole frames and buildings using the Archicad marquee tool --- the OBJECTiVE beams will not stretch that way and we were forced to spend way too much time stretching each beam by hand.

It's sort of a tradeoff, but since we weren't using SEO operations for some of our complicated notches anyway, we really weren't gaining any time by notching a few posts in Archicad before notching the rest in Cadwork. And the time we've saved by being able to stretch frames using Archicad columns/beams more than makes up for the time it takes to notch in Cadwork (which we use for shop drawings anyway).

PLUS, we really don't need to see or be concerned with every single notch in the preliminary design stages of the Archicad model . . . the fact that we have an accurate frame with correctly sized timbers speaks volumes.

Back on topic: Here is another post where I explained the IFC accuracy issues and resolutions:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=12172&sid=a3969480d70b698f3da623e800c3daf8

Hope this helps.

Manny
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Excellent information, that will help immensely, thanks

Andy
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Anonymous
Not applicable
Andy,

I gave up trying to IFC to Cadworks for that project. It was the last job I was doing in AC 9. When I have time I'll bring that project into 10 and send it again to the timberframers to see how they can deal with it now.

I'll post the outcome here if it will provide any insights. Manny, having both programs, appears to be ideally placed for a Wiki source:lol: .