Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Solid Element Operations

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am creating a gothic arched barn and have developed complex elements for both the roof and the walls. Therefore the roof is really a complex wall. I have used the solid element operations to cut off the top of the walls to conform to the underside of the gothic arched roof/wall. The client added to the complex wall, I revised it and now one half of one end wall will not be cut to the shape of the roof. The same complex wall type was cut successfully by the same roof at the other end of the barn and the exact same wall was cut by another complex wall/roof on the same end of the barn.

I used the solid element operation with subtract with upward extension.
The illustration should help. I have redrawn both the wall and the wall/roof and used the eyedropper to insure they are the same as the elements at the other end of the barn that intersected properly.

Any suggestions?

Bill Dagnon
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
As you said: "The client added.."
First off, you're not supposed to be using the Educational version for "Clients".
But having said that, sometimes seo just doesn't work. It could be a number of things, but have you tried trim to roof?
Even though I prefer seo most of the time.
Sometimes deleting the wall and redoing works.
Can't remember at the moment what other things to try, maybe someone else will.
Barry Kelly
Because your wall is a "wall" and your roof is really a "wall" as well then you will need to look at the Priority strength for each wall.
This will affect which wall will cut any other wall.

In your case the wall is stronger than the roof so it is trimming a hole in the roof and therefore there is nothing to use as an SEO.
Select the roof in 3D and you will see the hole highlight.

Change the priorities so the roof is stringer than the wall..

Just to make things more of a challenge you could also place them in separate layers and if these layers have different intersection priority numbers then they will not trim each other and SEO will work as expected.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Guess I should learn to read more carefully;" gothic arched roof/wall"
:oops:
Anonymous
Not applicable
BARRY,

Thanks for the priority strength idea, I will try it immediately.
Plus Graphisoft has made about $1,000 from this "educational" project, what started as a class project grew like Topsy. It certainly has been educational with all its complexity.

Thanks,
Bill
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry and anyone else online,

Sorry neither technique works. I changed the priorities of the individual wall & roof and also changed the priorities of the 2 separate layers ROOF & WALL-EXTR. No luck.

I have also rebuilt the wall from scratch with no luck.

Will welcome any ideas.

Bill