Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Splayed window reveals on external walls - again...

Jim Allen
Expert

I've searched and found a number of old responses to similar questions, and various suggestions have been made, with varying results - all unsatisfactory and problematic in some way or another, unless I'm missing something obvious!

What I want to achieve is thick walls with splayed reveals on the external face, but not the internal face.

A variation on something like this.

It's not that uncommon a detail, but if we can't model something easily, it compromises the architecture, which is not what BIM software is supposed to do, and certainly not Archicad.

I want the splayed reveals to have a different surface finish, whether it's a metal panel or a different brick. I want them to display in plan, section and elevation without any messing around with cover fills. 

Windows typically allow custom splayed reveals, but only on the internal reveals. I can model this just fine and use slabs/beams columns to create the custom reveal materials - as long as I reverse the direction of all the walls.

Obviously this is on the 'wrong' wall face, which I'm nervous about in terms of things like composites, connections, data tags etc.

I don't really want to flip the walls so they will then all have the external walls on the internal face, and vice-versa. I can't simply flip the reveals. Flipping the window won't flip the reveals.

I can use floating SEOs in 3D, but they don't display on plan, which is a major problem.

I could convert the wall to a morph, but that's another terrible idea.

I'm playing around with massing options, which is why ideally I just want the window configuration in the wall to do it.

Are there any clever components that can do it?

What's the best/easiest way to do this without jumping through too many hoops?

Screenshot 2022-05-04 at 11.14.54.pngScreenshot 2022-05-04 at 11.27.19.pngScreenshot 2022-05-04 at 11.16.16.png
Archicad 27 UKI | OS X 12.7.1 Monterey
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
DGSketcher
Legend

@Jim Allen Is increasing the opening size and filling the jambs with complex profile columns an option?

Add oversize to suit splayAdd oversize to suit splayScreenshot 2022-05-04 at 15.02.29.png

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Solution
DGSketcher
Legend

@Jim Allen Is increasing the opening size and filling the jambs with complex profile columns an option?

Add oversize to suit splayAdd oversize to suit splayScreenshot 2022-05-04 at 15.02.29.png

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Jim Allen
Expert

That's an interesting solution, which should also work with composite walls - thanks!

It will work for the splayed jambs, I'm not sure about the head and cill - I'll try.

Close - but no cigar 😉

3D - all good, configurability - pretty good.

2d Plan display, no quite so good, but I wonder if I'm missing something.

Screenshot 2022-05-04 at 16.46.38.pngScreenshot 2022-05-04 at 16.46.30.pngScreenshot 2022-05-04 at 16.48.59.png

There are 2 options, a negative reveal, which allows me to control only the external setback, and the oversize opening, which works on both sides of the wall.

Oversize opening works like this:

Screenshot 2022-05-04 at 17.13.31.pngScreenshot 2022-05-04 at 17.13.40.png

You can see that controlling the texture on the wall interior is problematic. On plan it looks like this:

Screenshot 2022-05-04 at 17.15.12.png

Either option will work if I display all cut fills as black, but the negative reveal option works pretty well. It's not perfect - but I think it is good enough for now, thanks!

Sorry. I hadn't tried it beforehand. Looks as it should in 3D Document from Plan, disappointed that it fails in 2D plan. This is why we need custom jambs & heads from profiles. Still, there's always the patch tool in 2D... 🙄