Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Split large projects in two files in AC10??

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
In the migration info from GS there's a recommendation to split large projects into two AC10 projects.
Question...what is a large project? What factors decide and what are the symptoms when working with a single too-large-project in AC10?

If I make a new "large" project from scratch in AC10...should I split that one as well?
/Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
It is very useful question.
It must be dicussed about this working process.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This depends (in my experience so far with 10) more on the specifics of the practice and the project than software considerations (ie. limitations in the program). Splitting the files into model and layout can reduce the amount of teamworking necessary. It can also reduce load times over the network. I assume (though I haven't tested this) that there are also performance advantages on multi-core/processor systems since the files can be run in separate sessions on the same machine.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't make a case for or against splitting projects although it seems to me that we had split projects with Plotmaker. If you split a project, does it negate the advantage of layout integration??

Gary Bley
Djordje
Ace
gbley wrote:
I can't make a case for or against splitting projects although it seems to me that we had split projects with Plotmaker. If you split a project, does it negate the advantage of layout integration??
No.

You can work as with PlotMaker - one file for the model, one for the layout. Works better on projects that have output originating in a few files. The linking methods - except for the absence of PMKs and OLE - is more or less the same as with PlotMaker.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
TomWaltz
Participant
One major benefit of splitting the files is that you can have one performing updates while you work in the other. If you keep them together in one file, you are twiddling your thumbs while the views on layouts update.

To me, the benefits of Plotmaker integration are autosave, teamwork, and being able to place objects on layouts.
Tom Waltz
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
TomWaltz wrote:
One major benefit of splitting the files is that you can have one performing updates while you work in the other. If you keep them together in one file, you are twiddling your thumbs while the views on layouts update.

To me, the benefits of Plotmaker integration are autosave, teamwork, and being able to place objects on layouts.
So this basically means I shall recommend my abusers to split the project if they suffer from excessive twiddling of thumbs...

For my normal abuser this is not an issue, they loooove the integration...and I do to!
Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.