Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Stair and partial structure display

rozky
Participant
Hi all,
Is it posible to define partial function for structure and finishes of stair?
Seems to structural function is missing in ID and categories.
It's strange because I found it in this tut: https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/videos/archicad/archicad-21-new-features/archicad_21_stair_constru... (2:32) but in my archicad it is missing AC21-4020CZE full and AC22ENG-demo.

Thank you
Peter
Ryzen Threadripper 1950X - 64GB RAM; NVidia GTX 1080Ti ; Windows 10 64bit; AC10-AC23 (64bit)
4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Unfortunately, no.
I guess they did not have time to implement this feature for Stairs as well.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
rozky
Participant
Thank you Laszlo,
I send it to support.
Peter
Ryzen Threadripper 1950X - 64GB RAM; NVidia GTX 1080Ti ; Windows 10 64bit; AC10-AC23 (64bit)
Kalman Cseh
Participant

Hi Laszlo, 

It seems like that the partial structure display still doesn't apply to the stairs. Is there any development about it in the background? what is the best workaround for that in the meantime? I can only think of duplicating the stair and play with layer combinations. 

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi Kálmán,

Unfortunately, no development has been done in this area since.

The only solution I can think of would involve modification of the default Tread and Riser library parts that come with Archicad. But even that would be a solution only for 3D. Here is how and why:

One of the many so-called Global Variables available in GDL contains the state of the Partial Structure Display option. It is called GLOB_STRUCTURE_DISPLAY. Here is what I did: I have created a copy of the Tread 25 Library Part, opened the copy for editing, and I inserted the following script at the very beginning of its 3D Script:

IF GLOB_STRUCTURE_DISPLAY <> 0 THEN
END
ENDIF

The value of GLOB_STRUCTURE_DISPLAY  is 0 when the Partial Structure Display setting is set to "Entire Model". So, if it is set to any other value we do not need to generate any 3D geometry for Stair Treads. And this is what the above script does: it checks the value of GLOB_STRUCTURE_DISPLAY and if it is not zero, then it immediately ends the 3D Script without generating any 3D geometry.

So, I saved this modified Library Part and set my Stair to use this Library Part for Treads instead of the default one.

You can do the same procedure with the Riser 25 Library Part to achieve the same result.

StairFinishes-PartialStructureDisplay.png

However, I looked into the 2D Script of Tread 25, and it is so complex that I do not really want to delve into. If no Treads or Risers are displayed in 3D, they should not be displayed in 2D either, but the Structure should be, and it should be displayed with solid line type instead of dashed. This is what we would need to achieve by modifying the 2D Script, but as I said, the Script is very complex and I do not have 8-10 hours to delve into it to try to understand it and modify it.

But I think it can be done, it just requires good GDL knowledge and time to do it.

If you need to hide Treads and Riser only in 3D, this is a quick and easy solution and you can use it also to export  geometry to IFC without Stair Treads/Risers. But if you need to display 2D as well without Treads and Risers, then I guess creating 2 instances on different Layers is the way to go for now.

I have attached the two modified Library Parts for anyone interested. Only the 3D Script of each was modified by adding the above mentioned lines of code.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27