BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Stair with alternate treads

Achille Pavlidis
Enthusiast
Is it possible to model a stair like the one in the picture?
Mac OSX 13.6.6 | AC 27 INT 5003 FULL
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Model a staircase with the step depth being the lesser one. Then edit the step lines to adjust for the full depth.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You can model 2 types of custom Treads, save them using the "File > Librariers and Objects > Save Selection As > Stair Tread" menu command.
Then select the Stair and enter Edit Mode. Select every second Tread in Edit Mode and change them to one of the custom Treads you saved. Then select all other Treads and change them to the other custom Tread you saved.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Achille Pavlidis
Enthusiast
is there a reason the custom treads are placed in a completely wrong place?

Does this have something to do with origin?
Achille Pavlidis
Enthusiast
After a lot of trying I gave up and followed the advice of petsagouris, even though I had to manually draw every single tread.
I could not get the custom tread to be placed correctly. Even by starting with the stair and saving the tread as morph and then editing it, it was still misplaced. If I used a morph I made from scratch and saved as custom tread I got placed completely wrong.

It is a pity that this feature is so poorly implemented
Barry Kelly
Achille wrote:
is there a reason the custom treads are placed in a completely wrong place?

Does this have something to do with origin?

Have you seen this Helpcenter article?

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/74260/

Barry
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Achille Pavlidis
Enthusiast
No I haven't, I saw it now.
I was working on floor plan, so this "ghost preview" was not very clear in its purpose.

Any way I got the stair to appear as I wanted in 3D, but the treads still appear as before in floor plan. So the manual editing of every single tread is still the preferable solution. I think custom treads created from morphs should appear correctly on floor plan.
Were on earth would that stair meet any sort of building code? I am always curious about this when I see so many stairs of a unique design.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Steve wrote:
Were on earth would that stair meet any sort of building code? I am always curious about this when I see so many stairs of a unique design.
Some expats here like to joke that there is a reason the Dutch word for 'stair' is 'trap', since older houses here have notoriously steep stairs, but this wouldn't meet any code here either

Maybe in the nautical world?
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
runxel
Legend
Steve wrote:
It's a so called "Raumspartreppe" (space saving stair), or "Sambatreppe".
They are allowed, but only if you don't use it to access any living rooms, just for the attic.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Learn and get certified!