BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Staircase in multiple directions (ArchiCAD 21)

PVBergkrantz
Expert
Hello, I'm not sure how to explain this, since English is not my first language, but I am trying to create a staircase going in multiple directions but am not quite sure how to go about it. Basically I have a platform in front of the entrance to a building, and I want a staircase leading down to the ground from three sides of that platform. I tried solving it with solid elements operations but couldn't quite make it work. See attached picture for a clearer explanation.

For future use I'd also be interested in weirder shapes, not just three perpendicular sides but maybe a possibility to have an organic shaped platform with shaped steps leading down.

Anyone have any ideas?
| AC 25 Int | Win10 | i7-7800X | 32 GB | GeForce RTX 2060 6GB |

3 REPLIES 3
In ArchiCAD 21 (which I'm assuming you're using since you placed that on the headline), just created a regular straight stair with the same number of risers and height as if you were going in a single direction, and then once it's created, click on it and click the "Edit" button and then select each individual riser and expand it on either side by extruding the edges in the same way you would do if they were regular slabs with the slab tool.

For more complex shaped risers or treads, just do the same thing and with each riser you edit them like you edit slabs to create the polygon shapes you need.

I suggest you watch a few of the Stair tool tutorials for ArchiCAD 21 on YouTube or at the Help Center if it's all still not clear
PVBergkrantz
Expert
I've been watching a few tutorials but have not found anything that links to this. I tried the method you suggested, but I couldn't select tread or risers in 3d view (if I had a finish turned on I could select and move the treads but still not the risers, and I don't want a finish for this stair), and although I managed to modify the shape of the treads in 2d the change is not visible in sections or 3d. Any idea why?

PVBergkrantz
Expert
D'oh. I feel pretty stupid now, I've been trying with solid elements and treads and risers etc. but it was not necessary! All I had to do was make two stairs and then drag one point of each of their boundaries to make a diagonal side. Too simple to see at first!

Learn and get certified!